My "EMPYBUSKBOX"

Taz

Busking Oracle
I've been asked by several members of the cafe about my backing tracks and how I play them whilst busking, so I thought it would be sensible to simply show it to you. I've drawn a rough plan (not to scale or even very neat, sorry I don't do technical)
The original design. Patnotpending!

Then I created this (from the back)

Here's the front view

And of course, its portable!

Its very simple to make, and the wiring is very simple. I have used a standard car stereo, car speakers and a 12 volt car battery. The sound is great and the projection is fantastic.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
I wonder if one of those 12V solar panels from Maplins would work, might save lugging around a car battery.

Unless its raining all day.

OP
Taz

Taz

Busking Oracle
I wonder if one of those 12V solar panels from Maplins would work, might save lugging around a car battery.

Unless its raining all day.
This is , after all, England. How many sunny days are you expecting.
I think the idea of a solar panel sounds brilliant, but I think it may still need a small battery, maybe a 12volt bike battery. I'm not sure but I hope that some of the more techy types on here may be able to help. It would certainly make it lighter!
As for waterproofing it, when it rains the public disappear.......and so do I! :)))

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
This is , after all, England. How many sunny days are you expecting.
I think the idea of a solar panel sounds brilliant, but I think it may still need a small battery, maybe a 12volt bike battery.
Yes, it would, otherwise your amp would turn off everytime a cloud obscures the sun.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Actually I've got one of these somewhere (along with a battery and charging regulator), I'll see if I can dig them out and put on the yardsale. I bought them to drive a fan but not powerful enough, but I'm sure it must be OK for a car stereo.

jonf

A car stereo will run easily on a bike battery. A standard one from a mid sized bike might not last all that long, I don't know. Typical one would be 12v 7AH sort of rating, and is about a quarter of the size and weight of a car one. A battery of a bigger bike such as my BMW is 19AH, and would have ample oomph. It would be fine and be about half the size of a car one. Bit pricey, though, typically about seventy quid. A small one would probably be OK with a solar panel acting as a trickle charger, and would cost about thirty five quid.

OP
Taz

Taz

Busking Oracle
Thanks Pete, what size is that battery, it looks very small. Is it man enough for the job, do you think?

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Thanks Pete, what size is that battery, it looks very small. Is it man enough for the job, do you think?
It's about 7 inches by 2 and a half by 1 inch.

Whether that's man enough (no sniggering at the back of the class please) I don't know.

The battery says 12V 2.2 Ah.

Could be worth ringing maplins and asking if t will do a car stereo

Top Bottom