Tutorials

My B is off pitch ( new instrument from eBay)

Sax4Jesus

Hey guys, I ordered a Lade Soprano sax from a dealer in China. It seemed like a good deal. I have a great suspicion that the b is off pitch. I paired it with my piano "C" and it was clearly off pitch.
Would you guys recommend me sending it back? I don' think my local music store is open due to Covid.
Any thoughts?
Thank you saxophone community :)

OP
Sax4Jesus

Sax4Jesus

Yea, I compared it to the A. and it was slightly off. But you were right it is an "A"
Thanks Colin.

jbtsax

Subscriber
It sounds like you got "Lade". :(

Seriously, one can't reasonably expect a new soprano saxophone from China costing in the neighborhood of $225 with free shipping to have decent intonation.

If you are serious about getting a good quality "entry level" soprano saxophone for an affordable price you might consider the Chateau made by the Tenon Company with factories in Taiwan and Vietnam. They are well made and have a good reputation.

Last edited:

Colin the Bear

To be fair tuning/intonation is a major problem for anyone new to soprano. Mouthpiece position is critical and 0.5mm can affect it. I had terrible issues that just seemed to disappear after a few years practice.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
One of the reasons that cheap sopranos are so cheap is that they save money on quality control. So if you buy one without trying it you may get an excellent instrument, of you may get a bad one.

Having said that, sopranos can be hard to play in tune. Are the rest of the notes OK?

OP
Sax4Jesus

Sax4Jesus

yeah, I did buy a better mouthpiece (Yamaha 6c)( that should be coming one of these days.
I just wanted to dip my feet into the water of soprano's and I didn't have a lot of money to do it with. Thank you for the replies.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
I've noticed nobody has yet queried...."how off is it ?"

so......

How 'off' is it ?

Are we talking 5 cents, 10 cents, 20 cents, 40 cents ????

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Agree it's not really off. But if it's a touch flat, raising the key a touch may help. Conversely, if sharp, lowering the key will bring the pitch down. You'll find that pitch of a note drops as you close the key. Do if set too low, it can affect tuning, but this is so close, the answer is you.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom