All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

My attempt at Baker Street

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
I thought it was time for another dodgy recording!
I know there are a few bum notes here and there in this.

DeadAudiolink Removed

I'm working on my diaphragm at the mo, so hope to be able to use this recording to appreciate my improvements in the future!

Taz

Busking Oracle
Very nice Mandy. Your coming along at quite a pace.
Are you reading from the dots or playing this by ear? The reason I ask is the small section from 1.26 to 1.32, to me, and this is just my opinion, sounds like your tonguing too much. It sounds like your trying to "play the words" I can't explain myself very well I'm afraid.
The important fact that you bring up about diaphragmatic breathing shows in your playing, your showing great control and good intonation too.

Bum notes? What bum notes!

thomsax

Very good! I love bum notes. I always use them ;}.

A stupid question. When you record yourself are you using headphones? You hear your sax and the backing music in the headphones?

Thomas

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
No, I simply play the backing track on a CD player loud enough for me to hear, and then I play the sax. Then I record everything - me and the backing in one go.
In response to Taz I am playing from the notes, and my teacher says the version I have is written with all the notes as if to sing to, so as you suggest it's "as if trying to fit the words in". I think once I feel more confident with it I'll be able to take out some of the notes or slur them more or tongue them less.
I feel that when I listen to recordings of myself, then I sound very staccato. Part of the reason for improving my diaphragm is to try to get longer legato phrases.

Taz

Busking Oracle
to sound more smooth and rounded!
Funny, I was opposite. The more round I got the smoother I became!!! :))):)))

I thought that might be the case, it'll come with experience and confidence, you'll hear the piece in your head and play how you feel. Every time I play a piece I always play it differently. (That's 'cos (a) I can't read the dot's in the first place and (b) I've got a lousy memory!)

Keep up the excellent work, your doing really well for 2.5 years.

jeremyjuicewah

Hi Mandy. I thought that was fine. The first bit in the upper octave seemed just a wee bit, sort of hurried, but then when the octave dropped I thought it settled down well with a nice tone. Was that the Selmer mpc you stole? I always record through head phones, you really do feel more involved and I think its easier to keep track when you and the backing are all one instead of backing at a tiny volume and you overpowering it. Headphones can be bought dead cheap. My first ones cost about six euros in Carrefour. The stereo sucks you in and its almost like being a proper musician. Congrats.
Mike

JasonC

Sounds great to me!

I can't play this yet at all but, I think the version I have is a bit too hard for me, most bits are ok but the high note passages are a little too quick and high for me to play, it uses the palm keys quite a lot which I just can't do fluidly yet.

Top Bottom