support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Brass Muted Trumpet For Late Night

MarJeda

I'm thinking about getting a trumpet and using a mute.

So I can play later at night without the neighbours having to listen to me learning to play.

Are there any trumpet players here, who use trumpet mutes and can answer - how muted is a muted trumpet?

Any feedback appreciated.

As a non trumpet player I have been amazed by the Yamaha "Silent Brass" system. http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical-instruments/winds/silentbrass/silentbrass-system/

It is pretty much inaudible from ten feet away and so could be used in the dead of night in a block of flats without disturbing a sleeping baby. It's very much a tool for practice rather than a performance mute to change the sound.

Rhys

Last edited by a moderator:
not a brass player either but I also have been amazed with the yamaha silent brass system. and I believe you can plug in headphones so you can hear the sound in its normal way...

Thanks for the link - that's just the type of thing I was looking for.

I'm only just starting to look at picking up a Trumpet, but I wanted one for late night practicing and this makes it look like it might be feasible.

I was looking at a couple of Youtube vids on different Trumpet mutes, and it almost looks like fun knowing you can get different types of mutes to shape the sound as well.

I think I'm pretty much sold on getting a Trumpet soon.

I got a trumpet a week or two ago and with a mute it is incredibly quiet. It has long been an ambition of mine to play trumpet but so far all I can say is it is a damn hard instrument to play - a lot harder than I expected but Oh So rewarding on the few occasions that everything goes right and a beatiful clear tone comes out.

There are a couple of good trumpet threads here on the forum if you do a search.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Dennis Wicks do a practice mute for the Flu Gel that works, just two small holes in it. Maybe they do a trumpet practice mute too.

Here's an article with measurements from 5 different trombone mutes, and I think all of them are available for trumpet as well. http://www.trombone.org/articles/library/viewarticles.asp?ArtID=166

The Yamaha Silent Brass has the best, most consistent attenuation of sound, and is almost perfectly in tune, but has its other drawbacks. I'm currently looking at getting a flugelhorn, as I think it sounds a lot nicer than a trumpet, but otherwise plays much the same.

The Mute I have is a Wallace Studio trumpet practice mute and has a slider in the end which adjusts the amount of mute/resistance apparently. I am nowhere able to test it yet though as I struggle to work out if I have a clear tone when the mute is in.

http://www.sshhmute.com/

These work well. I have one for trumpet and flugel. I can happily practice in the house without anybody knowing I was playing (which, given like many above, I have just started - it is just as well)

Trumpet was my main instrument 35 years ago, but its tough getting any lip power back....

I just couldn't resist adding a Couesnon flugel to my collection of woodwind!

Chris

It seems like Trumpets can play quiet with mutes, which is good news - I am just wondering if I really NEED to get yet another instrument to play.

I already mess around with guitar, am picking up a bass guitar soon, alto and tenor sax, need to sit down with keyboard a little more, and then there's the home recording bug that I need to focus on more.

Aarrggh, getting new gear never ends does it?

I do really like the tone of the Trumpet though.....

I'm thinking about getting a trumpet and using a mute.

So I can play later at night without the neighbours having to listen to me learning to play.

Are there any trumpet players here, who use trumpet mutes and can answer - how muted is a muted trumpet?

Any feedback appreciated.

Hi there!

Getting a trumpet would be worth it if you want an alternative sound. Lots of alternatives are around and happy to offer advice if you have a certain price range ( around £200+ is manageable).
The best thing is to get a Practice mute for trumpet -they are the best for reducing sound volume. There are many different types of mute, all of which reduce volume and produce a different sound - such as the Harmon mute that Miles Davis used to use fairly regularly. The best practice mute in my opinion is the Bremner Mute - http://www.sshhmute.com/ which is also very light so wont affect weight to any degree. I've played trumpet for as long as sax and am pleased to be able certain tunes (such as Cantaloupe Island, and All Blues) on the original instrument.

If I can be of any help just ask - I'm currently concentrating on trumpet/cornet/flugelhorn.
Kind regards
Tom

Hi Tom, I think I will get a Trumpet eventually but I am worried that it will just be another instrument to learn and distract away from putting time into all the other music toys I've got.

Since starting to play Sax 3 years or so back, I've got hooked on the sounds of horns in general so I think I will get a Trumpet when I can't resist temptation anymore.

I blame the internet and especially Youtube for making it easier to research new hobbies.

And I like the idea of late night Trumpet playing when I can't practice sax anymore because of disturbing the neighbours.

This Youtube vid has my favourite musical quote of all time in it, sort of based around the 'Harmon Mute' - skip forward to 11 mins 50 seconds (parental advisory advised)

And the rest of the documentary is an interesting watch too.

The Ebay Trumpet link looks interesting.

I think when I'm looking to pick up a Trumpet I'll be back to get some advice on what to get.

Just got too many bills at the moment, and can't afford anything for a while.

And I like the idea of late night Trumpet playing when I can't practice sax anymore because of disturbing the neighbours.

For late night sax practice, that is what this is for.....

I can play as loud as I like, along with anything I like, as badly as I like - all into headphones!!

And if I get frustrated with the sax - hey, I can make it sound like a cello, organ - even trumpet!...

IMG_8199.jpg

Chris

How much does the Bremner mute actually mute the sound? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDehW_xJz9Y looking at this video it sounds like not much at all, but the Yamaha Silent Brass sounds like it cuts the noise down to less than speech level: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWD3PTGC4OQ

Also, I'm concerned about intonation problems. I read somewhere that the Yamaha Silent Brass for flugelhorn throws the intonation off by no small amount. Then again in the trombone mute article I posted on the previous page, they found that the intonation is almost perfect with the Silent Brass (and not so with others).

I won't be playing with the mute all the time, but I could definitely play an extra hour or so every evening if I had the Silent Brass mute. I do play the sax with the Sax Partner mute case in the evening / night, but it's so bulky (doubles the weight of my tenor) and takes a while to set up so it's not that handy.