• FORUM MAINTENANCE
    The forum will be closed today at approx 13:34 GMT hopefully only for about 30 minutes

Sorry for any inconvenience and stress this may cause. Just remain calm and take slow breaths, it won't be for long
supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

Musical Quotes

Martin

A friend of mine has recently opened a jazz and blues bar here in Grenada. Lots of jazz oriented art work on the walls...interesting instruments, etc. He wants some good jazz/blues quotes to put up...such as:

If you don't make mistakes you aren't really trying------Coleman Hawkins

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later ----Miles Davis

Do not fear mistakes ---there are none ----- Miles Davis

I simply want to reach a level where I will never cease to make progress----
so that ,, even on the bad evenings , I may never be bad enough to despair---- Sonny Rollins

If they act too hip, you know they can't play **** ------Miles Davis

Can any of you add to the list?

I’m lucky enough to be part of the house band...the idea being that on top of a weekly gig...different set every week...we are available to support visiting musician. Very challenging...I have to work out fourteen new songs this week...ouch. It’s dragging me forward though, which must be good...mustn’t it?

Martin

Lockjaw

Miles is always good value for a soundbite. There's also:

'You can't have too much saxophone'.

'Nuff said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Edwards

I think Miles Davis said something along the lines of "it takes a long time to sound like yourself"

Very true when you think about it.

Got a Art Pepper one on a recording, I'll listen again and post it

Phil

Phil Edwards

Art Pepper from disc 1 of the Village Vanguard sessions.

"We'll close our first set with this rendition of the tune from the bible of the jazz musician – if you can't play this, don't play….. Cherokee [audience applause] … that's jazz I mean, if you can't play this and blow the s*** out it don't play the horn or drums or anything else…"

After which he proceeds with a 16 minute demonstration.

That's followed the second night with an even more stunning version of the same tune.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
Lots of good stuff here (and very funny):

http://www.petethomas.co.uk/jazz-yogi-berra.html

Oh yes, one of my favourites:

A Belgian invented the saxophone as a joke, but the Americans still haven't go it. (Don't know who said that sadly, so unless anyone can find out I should claim it!)

Last edited:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
There's a good list here: http://www.whimsy.org.uk/music.html

However my favourite is from Sir Thomas Beecham and has nothign to do with Jazz :-(

To a lady cellist (Not Jacqueline DuPre, wish I knew who it was):

"Madam, you have an instrument between your legs capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is sit there and scratch it."

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Words are the children of reason and, therefore, can't explain it. They really can't translate feeling because they're not part of it. That's why it bugs me when people try to analyze jazz as an intellectual theorem. It's not. It's feeling.
-Bill Evans

Mikec

Miles Davis again, when told that his trumpet was slightly out of tune:
"It's close enough for Jazz..."

and when encouraging John McLaughlin to do something special with "In a Silent Way"

"Play it like you don't know how to play it."

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
and when encouraging John McLaughlin to do something special with "In a Silent Way"

"Play it like you don't know how to play it."
for anyone who knows the album.. Tom Waits to Mark Ribot when recording the klezmer/fairground/blues album "Raindogs".. play yer guitar like you're in the band at a midget's Bah-Mitzvah.... and he did!

OP
Martin

Martin

Lots of good stuff here (and very funny):

http://www.petethomas.co.uk/jazz-yogi-berra.html

Oh yes, one of my favourites:

A Belgian invented the saxophone as a joke, but the Americans still haven't go it. (Don't know who said that sadly, so unless anyone can find out I should claim it!)
I just had a look at Yogi Berra...some good ones there alright...very funny. I particularly like:

"Anyone who understands jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it."

Martin

OP
Martin

Martin

There's a good list here: http://www.whimsy.org.uk/music.html

However my favourite is from Sir Thomas Beecham and has nothign to do with Jazz :-(

To a lady cellist (Not Jacqueline DuPre, wish I knew who it was):

"Madam, you have an instrument between your legs capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is sit there and scratch it."
Thanks Kev,

Not sure that the lady cellist is suitable material to go on the wall, but I like many on the list, such as;

The trouble with a lot of songs you hear nowadays is that somebody forgot to put them to music.

~ Sammy Kahn

All music is folk music. I ain't heard no horse sing a song.

~ Louis Armstrong

Today if something is not worth saying, people sing it.

~ Pierre Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais

Cheers,
Martin

OP
Martin

Martin

Some goodies here as well: http://rateyourmusic.com/board_message/message_id_is_2038901

Check out Beecham on stockhausen...

Nice one on Lester Young as well...
Yes, I like the Lester Young one too. Here it is:

Lester Young went to a jazz club one night with a friend just to listen. He sat in a dark corner so nobody would notice he was there, but gradually people began to notice him, and word spread around the club that Lester was there and he might sit in. Before getting up to leave, he leaned over to his friend and whispered "I don't dig being dug while I'm diggin'".

Martin

Top Bottom