All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Musical direction - Any ideas?

Martin

Hello everybody.

I've been invited to help put a band together around a young female singer. The first thing that we have to decide is what direction we want to go in, musically speaking, and I'm looking for ideas. Here's a YouTube video of her singing:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Asierramoore?blend=7&ob=5

I'm looking for material that will suit her style and voice, plus a band line up of guitar, bass, drums and sax.

I'm going to meet her next week sometime, I hope. So far all I know about her is what I've seen on this YouTube clip, that she takes singing lessons and that she has written some of her own songs. I'm looking for ideas and kind of hoping that we might be able to influence her away from the typical, current female 'pop' style.

So here I am looking forward to your opinions and suggestions.

Cheers,
Martin

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanU

Hello Martin
She seems to have a really nice voice that she can control pretty well.
You haven't yet met her but you're trying to 'influence her away from.....'

I think you should meet and talk about what she wants.
With respect to you, you're just providing the backing band.

I hope it turns out well.

Martin

You haven't yet met her but you're trying to 'influence her away from.....'

I think you should meet and talk about what she wants.
With respect to you, you're just providing the backing band.

I hope it turns out well.
Thanks for your reply Alan.

I think I misled you when I said that I've been invited to help set up a band around her. What has actually happened is that I've been invited to set up a band with some other friends, who have also invited this girl to be the singer/front person. So it's not quite true to say that we're just providing the backing band. Rather, between us, we must determine a style that is going to suit everyone in the band.

I fully intend to listen to her suggestions when we meet, but between now and then, I hope to research some songs that I think would suit her style, so as not to be going the the meeting unprepared.

I know I haven't met her yet, but I do think there is a good chance that a young girl like this is going to want to do covers of recent hits from popular female singers...I could be wrong, of course.

Martin

TomMapfumo

Hi Martin!

She does have a very strong voice. Lots of girl singers do not have such a voice and can sound quite good on the more contemporary "pop" songs. For me this means that she would have a wider choice of music that she could do justice to. My eldest Daughter (20) is a developing Singer/Songwriter who can do the Avril Lavigne/Taylor Swift type songs until the cows come home, but does struggle with songs requiring a stronger voice. I would have thought that R&B, Reggae, Ska, Jazz and others would come into play, not just Pop/Folk/Country.

The singer Pauline Black came to mind, but I think the girl's voice would be put to better use in a more dynamic musical environment, whatever that comes to mean.

Kind regards
Tom

Martin

The singer Pauline Black came to mind, but I think the girl's voice would be put to better use in a more dynamic musical environment, whatever that comes to mean.

Kind regards
Tom
Thanks for the ideas Tom. I checked out Pauline Black...I like it, but I don't think ska would work very well in this case....here in Grenada, ska and reggae is viewed as old peoples music...we're hoping to do something that will work for younger people....I just don't know what yet.

Cheers, Martin

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom