All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Accessories Music stand lights

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
I have a couple of gigs coming up where I'm likely to need a light for my music stand.

Any recommendations?

Are rechargable any good, will they last a couple of hours?

Thanks in advance.

Jx

Justin Chune

Locality
The Athens of The North
I use Mighty Bright. They use LEDs and will last a couple of hours I'm sure. I always carried spare batteries.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
The cheap ones aren't that bright. It is ridiculously easy for them to switch on by accident and drain the batteries, so doing something such as turning one of the batteries around to stop them switching on in your bag is a good idea, and always carry spares!

Vetinari

Café Supporter
Locality
East Manchester
Got one of these for computer keyboard, runs off usb socket on pc or usb charger or power bank.
Are gigs before or after nexr meeting. If after will bring and you can try it.

Screenshot_20211014-210343_Chrome.jpg

turf3

Locality
Earth
Just use the time honored AC powered light, available everywhere. You'll need a 230V version, the one below is a US 115V version. These last for decades. No batteries to go out.

stand light.jpg

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
Don’t get one of the ones with two insect antennae - they aren’t powerful enough.
I have a rechargeable one - it lasts fine for a whole gig, but I take a recharger with me.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
If you go for the usb version these power banks are very good. I've had mine over 18months and still going strong.

I think they've added too many zeros in the advert. 50Ah is more than my leisure battery for the caravan.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Café Supporter
Locality
KIC 8462852
If you go for the usb version these power banks are very good. I've had mine over 18months and still going strong.

I think they've added too many zeros in the advert. 50Ah is more than my leisure battery for the caravan.
There are several adverts for incredibly high numbers so better to buy from someone more reputable than an ebay advert.
A few years ago knowing nothing about the supposed power of these things I bought one from ebay for £17.99 that said 30000mah, it charged my phone one and a half times which means it was nearer 3000mah. Well obviously a misprint in production wasn't it not a con at all.
I told him I was sending it back with him paying the postage and he said would I take a £10 refund which I did then left negative feedback and he said if he gave me another £5 would I remove it.
So overall as I only wanted it as a 'emergency' recharge for the phone, at £2.99 it seemed a reasonable price.

greenstripe

Locality
UK
I've just ordered myself a Rat Stands Star good for 5 hours on maximum brightness apparently -£35 from Chamberlain Music. I'm a big fan of the Rat Stands Jazz Stand - expensive but nothing short of witchcraft when you see it fold or unfold in 1 second. Plus it doesn't damage paintwork if you bump the corner of the stand
moving it around at home.

greenstripe

Locality
UK
I received the Rat Star on Monday and have used it for bout 3-4 hrs so far on maximum brightness during my practice sessions - I must say I'm very impressed:

• No glare from round the edges.
  • 2 brightness levels - I'd use the dimer setting in darker environments (stage etc) and the brighter conventionally lit room where you need a little help as I do in my spare bedroom.
  • The design of the light is such that it would be able to stand on its own on a flat surface if you wanted to. It also has a sprung clip to attach to a music stand.
  • I like the fact that you can use the light while it's charging (although I haven't needed to yet) - surprisingly a lot of this sort light cannot be used while charging.
  • Power button is a proper button so shouldn't be accidentally pressed while in storage/transport: 1st press -on full brightness, 2nd press -half brightness, 3rd press -off.
  • The light comes complete with a little tote bag with Velcro closures that has a little pocket for the charging plug for protection from the plug pins.
  • The included charging plug is is a USB charger like you'd get with a mobile phone etc. It has an LED indicator red for charging that turns green when charging complete.
  • The charging cable has USB plug on the end that connects to the charger and a round 'barrel' type connector that plugs in to the light - would have been nice to have USB C so you could use a mobile phone cable but you can't win all of the time - at least you can charge the light from the USB socket of a laptop without needing to the adapter.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
@greenstripe That looks like a good find. It is very similar to the Mighty Bright at almost half the cost. I think I still prefer the type that uses 3 regular AAA batteries. If the batteries get low on a 3 hour gig you can quickly swap them out for new ones without having to wait for the rechargeable ones to recharge. If you buy them in bulk, that amounts to about $2.00 per set.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom