All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Music for You Jazz Summer School

Col

Just got back to work after a great week at the Music for You Jazz Summer School in Bridgewater. I hadn't been on a course for 10 years and so a bit rusty on my theory.

Highly recommend it for beginners/intermediate levels. Ed Jones was the sax tutor and inspirational at every tutorial - the other tutors were equally as good, I can honestly say I've never before learnt so much in five days.

Tutorials started at 9:30am-ish (these got later as the week progressed, the tutors were always the last to leave the bar at arouind 3:30am) and ran to lunch with three session afterwards, finishing at 6:00pm. Then supper and performances every night in the bar from 8:00pm. That was great, I got to play every night with a whole range of players, probably the best bit.

I've put my name down for the next course already (which is unlike me) and I've been reading my theory books ever since I left last Friday, I'm also rehearsing scales and intervals more than before.

Finally, I left early as I had a gig Friday night in a pub we've been trying to play at for a while. According to my wife I played better than ever, and the landlord loved it and has asked us back.
Now that's what I call a positive 'return on investment'.;}

rob4

Sounds good. I've been thinking about a summer school for a while. What other instruments were there? Any clarinets?!

Col

Sounds good. I've been thinking about a summer school for a while. What other instruments were there? Any clarinets?!
Certainly were, I'd say only about 2-3 though and a couple of flutes. Also had loads of trumpets and one trombone.
They are planning a sax only course in Easter I think..

Philly123

Ooh, that sounds interesting and good fun, could be just what I need. Is there a website or contact number where I could get some information?

Col

Ooh, that sounds interesting and good fun, could be just what I need. Is there a website or contact number where I could get some information?
Their website is http://www.musicforyousummerschools.co.uk/index.htm phone number - Dawn Bradley-Buxton: 07973 504 855

They are having a short course over Easter which I'm definitely going on, and their one-week Summer School next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

c9off

Easter course

Their website is http://www.musicforyousummerschools.co.uk/index.htm phone number - Dawn Bradley-Buxton: 07973 504 855

They are having a short course over Easter which I'm definitely going on, and their one-week Summer School next year.
So have you booked for this after all Col?...

(guess why I ask!...)

Last edited:

Col

Oh yes, I've booked - only 3 weeks to go and I'm brushing-up on my theory, got all my things packed and can't wait!

Andy is booked as well, are you? If so see you in the bar Thursday night (four solid days and nights playing without the wife and kids interrupting - sheer heaven).

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom