PPT mouthpieces

Studies Music book

piper

I am still plodding my way through a book called one tune a day sold to me by my teacher. At the moment i am playing an exciting carol called o come all ye faithful any suggestions cant wait to get a new teacher and maybe music to make me tap my feet to

I am still plodding my way through a book called one tune a day sold to me by my teacher. At the moment i am playing an exciting carol called o come all ye faithful any suggestions cant wait to get a new teacher and maybe music to make me tap my feet to

Hi piper, and welcome to the :sax: forum

The book used by me was Abracadabra Saxohone third edition. :thumb:

Starts off very simple but takes you to about grade 3/4 according to my music teacher :clapping: in fact I still use it sometimes as there are some good songs and tunes.

Teebones (tony):old:

I expect you'll get lots of good suggestions here, but I wouldn't abandon Tune a Day completely for a while. The tunes in there are very familiar to most of us since childhood which means you can really tell whether you're playing them in tune or not. Sounds like you don't know that tune particularly well. Choose one or two you do know and really listen as you play them. It helped me in the early days, anyway.

I looked at the A New Tune A Day for Alto at the weekend, and I thought it was very good. The book is a revision of A Tune a Day which apparently is quite old. The new book has a wide selection of musical styles and very good explanations. There is even one of "ghosting". It comes with two CDs, but I didn't listen to them.

Whether you like it or not, you will have to do the hard yards at some stage if you want to be come any good at playing. I suppose, however, that you are more likely to make good progress if you like what you have to learn.

sold to me by my teacher.
Thats a bit rough isn't it surely once you finish one book you return it and then borrow another more advanced one, and so on, thats what i do anyway.
At the moment i am playing an exciting carol called o come all ye faithful
Thats a bit unseasonal for this time of year isn't it? i would have thought "Summertime" would be a bit more appropriate.

I remember one of the best/most exiting at the time was a Jazz beginners book by Hall Lenard, the title slips me right now, or if you really want to get confused.com you can start wading your way through the vast selection of Aebersold stuff thats out there...but like i say very, very confusing or at least they were for me...

Nope you buy the book and anything else needed

I think Summertime will happen in December

I am on the lookout for a new teacher at the moment so lessons can be mixed with hard work and fun i am sure ill find one soon

Has anyone a rough idea how much it costs on average to have a sax checked out cleaned etc ?

I have a teacher and I spend probably 75% of my practise time on her allocated tunes (plus scales and long-tones) but to keep me wholly sane I spend the rest of my time playing tunes from the Realbook from Hal Leonard.

If you're into jazz there's hundreds of great tunes in there. Some are hard, but most are pretty easy.

Just make sure you get one appropriate to your horn Eb, Bb etc. unless you want to transpose them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of these tuition books have well selected pieces that teach whatever the writier wanted to get across at that point in time. However, the tunes are often dated/boring/aimed at kids more than adults.

Have a word with you teacher. There are other more adult books around.

Like the UK, we buy from our teacher. But I also get my own stuff and work on that... Keeps me sane.

Most of these tuition books have well selected pieces that teach whatever the writier wanted to get across at that point in time. However, the tunes are often dated/boring/aimed at kids more than adults.

Have a word with you teacher. There are other more adult books around.

Like the UK, we buy from our teacher. But I also get my own stuff and work on that... Keeps me sane.

I don't think I have actually seen any saxophone teaching books aimed at adults. Nor can I quite visualise how they would do differ from those for young learners. Simple tunes is all the beginner can manage. Moreover, it greatly helps the learning process if the tunes are already known to the learner.

I went into more serious material as soon as I could, and my main material is Parisi (book 1), Rossari (book 1) and Lacour (book 2), but I doubt that this is of much interst to OP.

I think 'Learn As you Play: Saxophone' by Peter Wastall is an excellent adult beginner book. There familiar tunes in there that aren't 'childish' and the originals are equally refined enough for the adult sensibility, but not very jazz-y.
Excellent progressive studies. Recommended.

I like this book ae well. We have to get the basics right and then the foot tapping stuff.

Jim.

Well, there's no right answer to this, there must be thousands and thousands of sax players that started with A Tune a Day out there - I'm one of them - and there's nothing wrong with that book. If stuff's too easy then flip forward some pages - otherwise, just stick with the programme.

I tend to think that having a solid footing playing "straight" stuff will serve anyone, playing any kind of music, well. Too many amateur jazz players I've met, although they might improvise very well, are often really bad readers. This can be a very annoying deficiency when you're trying to work out charts in a band situation.

However you go about it, just make sure you keep reading to as high a standard as possible.