Music and Mathematics

Hipparion

In Newton's scale the 9/8's and 10/9's are two different sizes of whole tone and the 16/15 is his semitone.
That's what I was missing, thanks !

To correct (whoopsie !) my example of palindromic scale, and in order to make clearer the way it was built:
C-Db-D-Eb-E-F-Gb-G-Ab-A-Bb-B-C
which only makes for 5 palindromic scales...

OP
jbtsax

jbtsax

Subscriber
Here's my attempt to compare Newton's palindromic scale with Pythagorean and equal temperament.
If we start on an A, then the notes in Newton's scale are approximately: A, B, C, D, E, F#, G
I have constructed a chart showing the frequencies of the notes in the three scales:
Brilliant! Thank you. I'm impressed that you could work it out this quickly and put it into such a clear presentation. Who would have thought it would be as simple as a Dorian Mode?

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Who would have thought it would be as simple as a Dorian Mode?
The Newton scale is like a Pythagorean Dorian with a sharpened 3rd and a flattened 6th.
The second, fourth, fifth and seventh are the same in both scales.

As with Pythagorean, there is an attempt to express all the intervals in terms of whole-number ratios. But whereas the Pythagorean scale has justification in terms of harmonic overtones, the Newtonian one appears to me to be based on numerical tidiness rather than acoustics.

Hipparion

There's no shortage of group theory in modern academic music theory.

Try neo-riemannian theory. For a gentle(ish) introduction Audacious Euphony: Chromatic Harmony and the Triad's Second Nature (Oxford Studies in Music Theory):Amazon.co.uk:Books

This is a little more challenging but very interesting and covers a lot more ground: https:://www.amazon.co.uk/Geometry-Music-Counterpoint-Extended-Practice/dp/0195336674/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2/262-4310014-5542751?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0195336674&pd_rd_r=b72aa5b8-42c8-461d-a9bb-bebd905bec0a&pd_rd_w=BjuXq&pd_rd_wg=n5Nfx&pf_rd_p=7a9d3b22-47b7-4932-be38-57f4219c3325&pf_rd_r=85EAAQWX52ZC1QQ21BAN&psc=1&refRID=85EAAQWX52ZC1QQ21BAN
I guess I'll have to try and find that.

Here's an academic paper by the same guy that's more "mathsy" than his book. I struggle at this level. You might enjoy it.. http://dmitri.mycpanel.princeton.edu/voiceleading.pdf
This is exactly the kind of work I wanted to read !

OK, this guy certainly knows what he is talking about, but I didn't like this video one bit since I find it more confusing than helping, and that is despite the fact I perfectly know where he is going at. If you (anyone) have a hard time to understand that video, don't blame yourself !

OP
jbtsax

jbtsax

Subscriber
I learned all I needed to know about music and maths in th 60s.

New math (sic)
Curse you Targa. You reminded me of Tom Lehr and his irreverent comedy that was such a big part of my college/drinking days in the '60's. After I went to your link, I wasted the next hour watching a number of his videos and got nothing else done. :p

Top Bottom