All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Moving Back to Blighty!

Josh Johnson

Well, after seven years in Thailand its time to bite the bullet and head back to the motherland - the kids are getting older and need to be around their family.

Looking forward to listening to more live jazz, and to having the access to more international artists.

So, apart from good live jazz, marmite and pork pies, is there anything else I should be looking forward to?

Saxlicker

Our wonderful and cohesive coalition government?

(oops!....no politics) :shocked:

Price of fuel?

The rebellion you face when your kids wonder why you bought them back.

Seriously though,
Good luck with the move, I hope it goes smoothly.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Much as I loved living abroad, and would happily go back, I also love being back here in old blighty.
I don't know what your kids are like, or their ages, but my oldest couldn't cope with living abroad and feeling afraid to speak to people because she couldn't speak the local lingo very well. She was 8 when we moved back here and became a different (in a very positive way) person within days of getting back here. TBH there's not many time when I think "it was better there"... apart from maternity care. If I were to have another baby, I'd go back to the Netherlands to do it, here it was just dire by comparison!

Sunray

Hey Hey mate ...

Look forward to ...

That feeling of just being at Home again ... :mrcool

With all your Family & Friends ...

And watching your children grow and develop with their friends around them ...

Remember all the good times away and at home ... :)

Create the important things like ...

Time and Space ...

I am sure there will be ups and downs ...

Good luck with the move mate ...

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I tried it, after 15 years away I couldn't settle. Went from a country going places back to one falling apart. Really unpleasant shock. Even after 3 years away it was difficult, just for a holiday. Walked in the pub, ordered a beer, someone sitting at the bar with his face in a beer turned his head, said 'Hallo Kev, haven't seen you for a while', and turned back to his beer. in I hope your experience is better.

SaxinNZ

Best of luck Josh.

We moved to New Zealand about four and a half years ago now. New Zealand is a beautiful country there’s no doubting that. However, it lacks “real” history, architecture, British humour, family, old friends etc etc. It does however, offer us more personal space (our house and land), a sense of freedom, which I never really got in the UK (too many rules/laws), a vibrant ‘young’ feeling about the whole country, vineyards on our doorstep etc.
We have experienced more of life’s ups and downs since being here, including being in two major earthquakes, not to mention hundreds of aftershocks, violent weather (once when we were landing… nearly pooped m’self!), floods etc…….

We haven’t discussed going back though, as by all accounts the UK is in dire straits (according to family and some of our friends), but I guess its all relative huh?

Thailand, well its great for a holiday, and maybe its good if you are young and single with lots of cash (ohhhh I can only dream!), but living and working there with a family, well, I don’t know. There is a lot to be said for being a ‘local’ and fitting in, as we have found out… or not, as the case may be.

Best of luck to you, and your family. Hope it all goes well.

Josh Johnson

Thanks for the replies. Some food for thought. One thing that I know will be tough is finding a practice place as good as my open-air apartment roof where I can practise any day of the year. Thinking about getting one of those Storm Trooper looking things, the esax?

SaxinNZ

Thanks for the replies. Some food for thought. One thing that I know will be tough is finding a practice place as good as my open-air apartment roof where I can practise any day of the year. Thinking about getting one of those Storm Trooper looking things, the esax?

Another way, you could soundproof a room pretty effectively, as long as you don’t have neighbours above or below you. Not as hard as it "sounds" (excuse the pun). Plenty of advice on the net about construction methods, noise dampening etc. Its gotta be better than putting your sax in a bag….ooooh no missus!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
One word of warning - if your wife doesn't have a British passport and citizenship get her entry permit/visa sorted out really early. HMG has made it very difficult for people to bring a non-british spouse back. (don't ask me how I know.) I take it your kids have brit passports/nationality.

SaxinNZ

Open air rooftop apartment in Bangkok… if only I could pass m’self off as a half decent player…. Ohhhh the mind boggles…. Maybe the missus will be okay with me taking a year out to “find” myself….. in Bangkok…. alone….. ummmmm!:mrcool
Is the apartment taken yet? I’ll have a word with er’ indoors. Watch this space.:)))

dooce

That's a blow. Mrs Dooce and I are setting off on a 6-month round-the-world trip in September - that's one less overnight couch we can blag!

Josh Johnson

Bill,

With the help you have given me in the past you would have been more than welcome. I'm just sorry I can't help you out.

Have a great trip!

(Are you taking a sax? When I travelled before I bought a cheap alto to take with me. Maybe a cheap curved soprano would be good)

Top Bottom