support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces MOUTHPIECE'S FOR ALTO...ANYONE SEEN OR USED THESE????

secondhandsaxes

Locality
australia
gidday there....
from another posting i decided to start my own,just to see if anyone has seen these or used tham and would like to comment on them....
they are a lelandais "SUPER JAZZ",(not sure if it plays funk or other styles), metal mouthpiece....
and the other is a B.D. HOLLYWOOD (bobby dukkof),.....these i have hear alot about the tenor piece,dextor gordon played on one....but i have never seen or heard about these in alto...

any idea's or comments please...

thanks,philip,from down-under....

Attachments

• lelandais alto metal super jazz2.jpg
    lelandais alto metal super jazz2.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 220
  • lelandais alto metal super jazz.jpg
    lelandais alto metal super jazz.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 202
  • bd hollyword2 alto.jpg
    bd hollyword2 alto.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 200
Sanborn used to play a Dukoff, I believe.

That was the silverite "Super Power Chamber" high baffle model from the 70s rather than the big chambered, low baffle Hollywood model from the 40s.

Rhys

How funny: I tried two Dukoffs like that last week.
I actually liked the Hodges/Royal vibe they have. I did not like the current price on the internet.
Lelandais could be good players, but never tried one.

How funny: I tried two Dukoffs like that last week.
I actually liked the Hodges/Royal vibe they have. I did not like the current price on the internet.
Lelandais could be good players, but never tried one.
so you tried the BD pieces before and you liked them?
there is one on ebay now,an alto piece?
thanks,philip

Cheers. I stand corrected. :)
hello there...i don't think you were corrected as you were not wrong,the super power chamber is still a dukkof mouthpiece,which came out 20-30 years later...
cheers,and thank you for the info....
philip

I
so you tried the BD pieces before and you liked them?
there is one on ebay now,an alto piece?
thanks,philip
I've seen one sold for $400. Not worth that sum, even if in good conditions. How does yoirs play?
The one I tried had no ligature and I used a handle of a plastic bag. Tesco.
Very specific sound.

I
I've seen one sold for $400. Not worth that sum, even if in good conditions. How does yoirs play?
The one I tried had no ligature and I used a handle of a plastic bag. Tesco.
Very specific sound.

Would have been much better with a Waitrose bag handle :)

Jx

Co-op bag handles give great carrying power combined with the useful dividend of a fuller tone throughout the range.

Thank goodness for Tesco, Co-op, Sainsbury's and Asda......................keeps all the c**p out of Waitrose!

Unless you use an inverted Mossison. A real Costcutter.

I
well,i am not sure how it plays,as i don't really play alto,just wondering about these i have never seen in alto,but have seen plenty in the tenor size...
cheers,and thanks for your opinions...
cheers,philip

Tenors are very well regarded, and Dex helps.

Some info on lelandais here.

http://mouthpiecemuseum.com/MouthpieceMuseum/Lelandais.html

Last edited:
Some info on lelandais here.
thanks so much for that link it has a few models and confirmed my thoughts that the lelandais a member here bought,a "jack heywood" model,looked like a king mouthpiece i have had years ago,with this museum link confirming my suspicions....they made the mouthpieces for the super20's....
very interesting,and thanks again....
my "super jazz",is there too...
cheers,philip

Last edited by a moderator:
How many fat old blokes riding a wooden motorcycle rocking horse do you think there are on here?

The depth and breadth of knowledge on here never ceases to amaze me. I sometimes forget how much I've learned in the short time I've been here. It's improved my kit and my playing no end. Not to mention the pleasure of the company.

Back
Top Bottom