All profit supporting   special needs music

Accessories Mouthpiece Silencer

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
I got my Silencer this morning and just tried it out. It comes with fittings for S,A,T,B saxophone mouthpieces and two clarinets. I found it very difficult for the first five minutes, especially with my baritone mouthpiece - all I got was a succession of squeaks and funny notes, but I have finally managed to get the same note as I get without the silencer, which I assume is what I should be aiming for. (It started off a minor third above.) I have to put a lot of air through it, and it makes me hyperventilate, so I'm having a nice sit down!

I recently got myself a soprano mouthpiece, in the hope of one day having a metal tube to attach it to, so this thingy will let me practice in preparation. Oddly enough, I find it much easier to play the soprano mouthpiece on the Silencer than the bari mouthpiece, even though I normally play bari. So I wonder if it's easier to use the higher you go.

saxflutist

Locality
London UK
I found the mouthpiece a beneficial exercise, but neither fun to play nor really quiet. It cannot really be played softly and it produces a high pitch, and as a result it cannot be played everywhere like some of the advertising seems to suggest.

fibracell

Can you play a full major scale on the mpc silencer? If not you might not be using it correctly. It should be fairly quite too.

saxflutist

Locality
London UK
yes, I can play one full octave on the silencer, no more, no less. To be more specific, it is not blasting loud, but it is not as quiet as one would need for instance to play at night in a flat and be sure it might not annoy any neighbour.

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
I've had a Jazzlab Silencer for a couple of months now, and I recommend it. It comes with fittings for SATB saxes and a couple of clarinet fittings. For me, it seems to work better for the higher saxophones. My soprano mouthpiece on its own makes such an unpleasant noise that I would not do mouthpiece exercises without the silencer. I found it less good for the bari - though still useful - it doesn't seem to dampen the noise as much for a bari mouthpiece, and it takes a lot of puff to blow.

The silencer reduces the volume, but it's still very audible - my wife can easily hear it in another room.

I found the silencer very discouraging at first - I have to blow a LOT harder than normal, and it is more difficult to get a decent note - especially with the bari mouthpiece - I produce more squeaks with the silencer than with the mouthpiece alone. And I can't go as low with the silencer.

I had imagined that I would use the silencer to practice in short gaps when it wouldn't feel worthwhile to pick up the sax, but actually I use it at the beginning of my normal practice sessions.

All in all, definitely worthwhile.

saxflutist

Locality
London UK
The silencer reduces the volume, but it's still very audible - my wife can easily hear it in another room.
That is also my experience. For that reason I don't think it is truthful to advertise it as a "practice anywhere, anytime" device.

ChillyMike

Café Supporter
Locality
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
So I find myself reading this thread on my phone and by the time I got to page 4 I had a sudden onslaught of GAS and ordered a silencer in another tab!

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
So I find myself reading this thread on my phone and by the time I got to page 4 I had a sudden onslaught of GAS and ordered a silencer in another tab!

As saxophone GAS attacks go, you have got off relatively cheaply, and bought something useful as well.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom