support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpiece Silencer - Give the neighbours some peace.....

John, there are some threads on SOTW about playing the mouthpiece only. I think Phil Barone has quite a bit on it, o was it Philtone - one or the other. About all I can really remember is that the idea is to extend sax control by being able to play a scale on the mouthpiece. And that's no mean feat!

Interesting! I'm going on a cruise for three weeks and was wondering how I could keep practicing without taking a saxophone with me as I guess it wouldn't be appreciated ;} This might be my answer along with some music theory!

John, there are some threads on SOTW about playing the mouthpiece only. I think Phil Barone has quite a bit on it, o was it Philtone - one or the other. About all I can really remember is that the idea is to extend sax control by being able to play a scale on the mouthpiece. And that's no mean feat!

Lol it's probably me. I feel like end up suggesting that a lot over there, but it's the best thing most people can do for their sound. You should be able to play scale patterns, arpeggios, etc. over a 10th on the mouthpiece alone with pretty much constant embouchure pressure. Fastest way by far to teaching yourself how to voice the instrument properly.

This silencer looks like it might be interesting, but if you can't hear yourself your practice won't be as productive. Worth investigating IMO.

Mouthpiece Silencer - Give the neighbours some peace.....

Lmao - You lot still got neighbours ... :shocked:

Wossup wid ya! blow it hard n loud !! :sax:

They will soon leave - mine have :)))

Last edited by a moderator:
Likewise Chris

But where do you get the info that tells you the best way to practice with mpc only...john

ps Always needing to improve my playing:(

Practising scales with the mouthpiece is really good for your sound/tone/everything. Try playing a note on the mouthpiece only, if you find this difficult put your finger over the end to half cover it. Then try blowing down a tone, saying the syllabel A, as in apple. If this works go down another tone etc etc until you can play a scale, having a keyboard is a good idea to hear the correct pitches. If it doesn't then you need to open up your throat/aural cavity is if you are signing a low note using the syllabel A. Its a difficult concept to master but once you get the hang of it, it trains your throat to be in correct position for the note you want to play and the difference in sound is amazing. Think of the syllabels A for low notes, O (open) for middle register and EE (eerie) for upper.

Hope this helps

Malcolm

Lol it's probably me. I feel like end up suggesting that a lot over there, but it's the best thing most people can do for their sound. You should be able to play scale patterns, arpeggios, etc. over a 10th on the mouthpiece alone with pretty much constant embouchure pressure. Fastest way by far to teaching yourself how to voice the instrument properly.

This silencer looks like it might be interesting, but if you can't hear yourself your practice won't be as productive. Worth investigating IMO.

It's interesting that both you and Phil make mouthpieces. Perhaps you're much more aware of just how much embouchure/throat/lungs contribute to sound and control.

I must start working on this. I find it easier and sounds better when the neck is on the mouthpiece. But it seems harder to get the notes to change - is putting the neck on counter-productive?

Like everything else, it's practice, and this is good practice!!
I've been playing tunes on mine for a long time now, "happy birthday" is a particular fun raiser at friends parties (especially if it's their birthday, tee hee).
Put one finger either in, or over the end (I put it in and move it in and out), and this is the point - think of the note you are going to play, just as you would for altissimo!! and away you go.
I don't think, that moving the finger makes any difference, but it adds to the showmanship.

John.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting that both you and Phil make mouthpieces. Perhaps you're much more aware of just how much embouchure/throat/lungs contribute to sound and control.

I must start working on this. I find it easier and sounds better when the neck is on the mouthpiece. But it seems harder to get the notes to change - is putting the neck on counter-productive?

Oh it won't sound good. Yes, putting the neck on is counterproductive, it ads an air column of a specific resonance for the reed to lock onto. With the mouthpiece alone there is hardly any resonance column at all, so all changes to the upstream resonator (your vocal cavity) and embouchure are magnified. The better you can control the mouthpiece alone, the better you can control your sound and pitch when it's on the horn.

Hi Kev

A belated thank you for your help,all very interesting and useful,now I can really set about winding up the neighbours HE! HE!>:)...john

This silencer looks like it might be interesting, but if you can't hear yourself your
practice won't be as productive. Worth investigating IMO.

Hi Morgan
You can hear yourself perfectly with the silencer ...without hacking off everyone else in the house. The book that comes with it cover's how to use the silencer effectively, with many different excersises.
It really is excellent...If used and not left in a draw;}