support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Mouthpiece Patch

Pegwill

Hi Guys
I have just purchased a Jody Jazz HR*6M for my alto. However, the patches I'm using keep coming unstuck. I have not had this problem before with the other mouthpieces I own. I've tried placing them on the rubber pad and over the pad on to the hard rubber towards the tip, but still it comes unstuck. I guess it gets wet and then dont stick. I have tried pressing it down really hard. The patches I'm using are unbranded.

Can anyone recommend a good patch that they think will do.

Thanks for the help

Regards to all

Jobe

Locality
Midwest, USA
Jody Jazz Perfect Patch Clear (4 pack).
Giardinelli Woodwind Mouthpiece Cushions-Clear (2 pack).

Those listed-above are good in my experience, and I've enjoyed the Giardinelli (black-thicker design).

If you have not developed a preference for clear-thin vs. black-thick, try both types?

SaxDon

Café Supporter
Locality
Portsmouth, Hants
I've had a couple of JJ HR's - really nice pieces. Make sure to take the original (circular) patch off first. Vandoren patches are the best in my experience; they come in two thicknesses and two colours (black/clear). Stick it on then forget

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
I'm pleased with the Vandoren ones I bought :)

Jx

Pegwill

Hi Guys
Thanks for the info I will try a few.
Just to confirm the rubber patch that is already there can be removed?
I thought it was an integral part of the design, thats why I was trying to put a patch over it.
So if I remove it, it wont damage or delvalue the mouthpiece?
Many thanks
Regards

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Don't remove the built in one. And covering it with a stick on is good, makes the mouthpiece easier to sell if you want to change. Nothing worse than a mouthpiece with someone else's teeth marks in it.

SaxDon

Café Supporter
Locality
Portsmouth, Hants
I took the original off, applied a Vandoren patch, used it for a year, and sold it for more than I bought it (used but as new). It was a while ago but I'm sure it was a pain in the arse to keep the original patch (which was circular in shape) whilst trying to apply a rectangular one on top. Add to that the extra thickness - nein danke!

Plus, if the tenor version I had previously is anything to go by, the original patch is more susceptible to teeth marks than the Vandoren.

I'll have to get hold of another one on alto - regret selling it last year. Fool!

Last edited:

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
From what I can see in the pictures or pieces for sale, the original appears to be a circular stick on patch, not a built in bite plate. Remove it carefully and give it a good clean. Your usual patch will stick fine. I don't think a different shape patch will affect the resale value.

Pegwill

Hi Guys
Many thanks for the advice I will remove the one supplied as this is whats causing the problem.
Regards

Saxlicker

Locality
Breakfast room since '06 UK
I did the same.
The round one was too strange for me.
I think the picture is wrong in the link below but these patches are excellent.

Mouthpiece Patches - WWR Clear 0.4mm Standard Size - Pack of 6 - Accessories - Saxophone

They will not come off nor will you bite through them before you decide to remove them for hygiene reasons.

AND

If you order in the morning they will be with you the following day!! great service from this shop. I have no affiliation with them other than being satisfied with their service on every single occasion.

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
I've bought and used these without any problem with sticking, used on HR and metal with no problem
8 Pcs Mouthpiece Patches Saxophone Pads Cushions 0.8mm Alto/Tenor Sax Clarinet

£5 for six?

These are better value £1.42 for 8

NEW 8Pcs 0.8mm Mouthpiece Patches Pads Cushions / Tenor Saxophone Clarinet Black

Bit of a wait but great patches. I think I must have been a beaver in a previous life. I go through anything.
Your find is 58p cheaper than mine, you win !!

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
So, one from Mike or ten from China. Tough decision. I rip through them quite quickly so need them cheap.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I've tried helicopter tape. In fact I've tried lots of things. I find it easier , simpler and cheaper to keep the case well stocked with these rather good patches. They keep dropping in price. The only downside is the two to four weeks wait from China.

Top Bottom