support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Mouthpiece material sound files metal vs ebonite

Pete Thomas

Cafe Moderator
Commercial Supporter
Locality
Sunny Southampton
Each mouthpiece is identical as far as is possible both internally and externally except that one is made from brass that has been gold plated on top of silver, the other is made from 100% black ebonite made in the traditional way. I did not know which mouthpiece I was playing, the same reed and ligature were used. Same phrase recorded with factory matched stereo pair of Oktava condenser microphone MK-012-1 at a distance of approx one yard

I believe some people will correctly identify which is which.

Audiofiles:

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-mouthpiece-material.html

Electrical tape over the beaks to make them feel identical. The weight difference, once on the instrument, is insignificant and not detectable.

ppt-metal-ebonite.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Mouthpiece material sound files meat vs ebonite

Meat vs Ebonite, is there a vegetarian option?

There's no difference Pete! (at least not through laptop speakers..!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can hear some minor differences between tracks but nothing so significant that I would claim to know anything about materials. I listened with headphones which usually give me the best ability to hear the detail. I would say that some tracks sounded slightly louder, which often makes them more striking.

Interested to hear that you didn't know when playing which mouthpiece material it was. Even with tape over the beak and blindfolded, can't you feel different material on your embouchure, for instance by the different thermal characteristics (metal conducting heat better and feeling colder on the lip) ?

This one will run and run !

Rhys

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess 1,4 & 7 were meat....2,3, 5 & 6 are ebonite, the mystery one sounded quite different and would guess ebonite? not sure what make tho.

The mystery mouthpiece is ebony (either a Lebayle or Brancher). It is impossible to use one's critical faculties whilst listening to such a mind numbing ditty - I need a drink :shocked::w00t:;}:thumb:

Sticking my neck way out here. . . . . . . . .:p:p:p

1, 2, 6 all sounded similar with a bit more edge. My guess is metal.

3, 5, 7 all sounded similar with less of an edge. My guess is ebonite.

4 sounded in between the others. Could be either?

The mystery m.p. sounded a lot like my Brilhart Tonalin.

I've had a drink, so I'm going back in........................................:w00t:

Not at all conclusive on my iMac speakers:

1, 4, 6, 7 - Metal.
2, 3, 5, - Ebonite.
8. Ebony.

They all sounded very much the same, the last one being the odd one out, sounding richer/smoother. Listening with studio monitors..

Chris...

Not much in it for me, apart from the last one sounding different. 6 (and possibly 7) sound a bit brighter, and the mystery one sounds so breathy I believe it's made of wool :)

He said "sheepishly". :)

Sorry no detectable difference to my ears

The mouthpieces are:

Metal 1, 4, 5 and 8

Ebonite: 2, 3, 6 and 7

So what did you do differently with 8?

All the others sounded the same to me.

So what did you do differently with 8?

All the others sounded the same to me.

I played it using subtone. All the others I made a conscious effort to play with the exact same dynamic/embouchure/articulation.

Great demonstration Pete. It seems to prove that one can't really tell a difference. My "guesses" were no more accurate than random choices would have been. It would be fun to see a spectrograph of each mouthpiece playing a single note at identical dynamic levels.

Your deception on #8 proves beyond a doubt that the concept of the (experienced) player makes far more difference in the sound than the physical attributes of the equipment.

Great demonstration Pete. It seems to prove that one can't really tell a difference. My "guesses" were no more accurate than random choices would have been. It would be fun to see a spectrograph of each mouthpiece playing a single note at identical dynamic levels.

Your deception on #8 proves beyond a doubt that the concept of the (experienced) player makes far more difference in the sound than the physical attributes of the equipment.

So instead of getting a new mouthpiece just get someone better to play it!

Back
Top Bottom