support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Mouthpiece looking a little tired or worn out??

well......despite the fact that both mouthpiece of a pipe and some saxophone mouthpieces are both made or ebonite, there is a difference which is removing any material from the tip, rails and the chamber of a mouthpiece will alter the mouthpiece performance.

So, if the best advise is don’t let your mouthpiece ever get to that point, but if you need cleaning it that much ...you probably should do that only with the parts that are not involved with sound production.

This kit seems to be working well (although I imagine it takes a little more than a good rub with both components).

Component 1, says the ad, is sanitizing the mouthpiece but clearly has to contain some agent apt to dissolve some of the offending dirt and removes scratches by means of abrasion

Component 2 is only wax.

I would advise caution in the use of component 1.

I've no idea to be honest Milandro. I saw the link over the other side and thought it would be worth posting here so the 'pros' and 'cons' can be looked at in some more detail. It was mentioned that some vintage 'pipe stems' can be expensive, so I guess owners wouldn't want to be rubbing to hard.

no, but the respective function of both mouthpieces is very different

A bowl full of hot pipe tobacco down your shirt because of a
weakened stem is one to be avoided though Milandro>:)

As long as one stays on the top and sides with the cleaning, it should be ok. I looked it up and Caranauba wax is ok to ingest. Dr. Omar Henderson of Dr's Products has a Ph.D. in research chemistry. I communicated with him one time about restoring old ebonite mouthpieces that have begun to break down and give off sulphur. He said the process would be too dangerous to trust to a layman, but he would do a chemical restoration of mouthpiece for about $50. Obviously this is more involved than cleaning the outside with an abrasive and giving it a coat of wax.

Ha ha lay man , mouthpiece restoration boom boom
It took me a minute. . . . You know I'm starting to look tired and worn out too. Maybe some sanding and a coating of Caranauba wax is what I need as well. :)

JBT....nothing that a good buffing wouldn't sort out. We just need polishing up a bit as we age!

Just thinking, the cigar smokers could use old mouthpieces as holders. Need a big one for a Bari mouthpiece though.

Back
Top Bottom