All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

M/Pieces - Ligs Mouthpiece Help

JasonY

Hello all,
I've been playing the saxophone for about 11 years now and am currently in the HS jazz band and combo as a senior. I play on a Vintage Phil Barone Saxophone with a Phil Barone NY HR mouthpiece and a versa ligature. I've been using 3 1/2 Vandoren V16 reeds and just started using RJS Filed Medium reeds. I'm interested in getting a Jody Jazz HR 7 or a RPC 90 mouthpiece. I was wondering which one you prefer and can explain the differences to me before I purchase one of them or if my current mouthpiece is actually better. I would also like to know which ligature you prefer. I just purchased a Francois Louis Ultimate lig to put on my PB NY but it doesn't fit, would it fit the RPC or Jody Jazz? My playing style is going for a modern style, pointing towards the sound of the saxophonist from Spyro Gyra, Dave Koz, Eric Marienthal and Gerald Albright (Some of my favorite artists). I am aware that they all play on Beechler mouthpieces, but I can't find any reliable stores on the internet. Any help?

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
You've been playing long enough to know that it's you that makes the sound. Better? Only you can decide. You need to try any gear before investing large sums of cash. The gear that I find gives me a magical sound, may give you a head ache.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I haven't played either, so can't help. But hopefully someone who has will be able to describe what they found.

Another way forward is to contact the makers and discuss your needs with them. Many RPCs are tailored to players needs, so any you find for sale may not be representative of a standard one.

You haven't said why you're picking those two specifically. You could also look at Morgan, Vandoren as well as many others. There's a new Rico on the market which we're about to try out. This may also work well for you.

altissimo

Locality
leicester
I've played a Jody Jazz HR alto mouthpiece for several years - it's a slightly brighter, improved Meyer type piece, not really the kind of thing to get you that Spyro Gyra, Dave Koz, Eric Marienthal, Gerald Albright type of sound.
Sax.co.uk sell Beechler mouthpieces, although it may be worth trying a Vandoren Jumbo Java before you shell out £200 or more on a Beechler.
Secondhand RPC mouthpieces are scarce, so you'd probably have to order one from Ron Coehlo himself - http://www.saxmpc.com/
I'd imagine the high baffle version may be more to your taste, but talk to Ron, he's the expert
I've never played an RPC, but it's on my list of things to do before I die - and there are very few mouthpieces on that list

Zootsax

Locality
NY, USA
You may absolutely hate this answer, but I mean it in the kindest of ways. No one here, no matter how much they may want to help you with your mouthpiece search, can substitute for your trying out the mouthpieces and deciding yourself. For better or worse, having 5 saxophonists try the exact same mouthpiece is an invitation for 5 extremely different reactions. We all play differently, even on the same gear. What you want is something that most easily helps you to sound the way you want to (i.e. brightness, tone, volume). There are several websites out there, and maybe even a storefront near you, that may allow you to try out the mouthpieces. I'm fortunate enough that the storefront for Weinermusic.com is in my area, and they allow about an hour of mouthpiece tryouts as well as a limited return policy. If you can find a dealer that will accommodate you in this way, you may even be able to bring the prospective pieces to rehearsals and see what you like best.

Good Luck and Happy Playing!!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I think we can take the original post two ways. One is 'Tell me what will work for me', the other is 'I have done my research and am looking for help/more information, cos I cannot play test'.

I tend towards the second interpretation. But fully agree with the make your own decision group.

JasonY

Yeah I was definitely just asking what people liked and recommend, but that's okay I should've worded it differently back then haha. I went with an RPC 90.

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Yeah I was definitely just asking what people liked and recommend, but that's okay I should've worded it differently back then haha. I went with an RPC 90.
5 yrs

Is this a record interval between post and response?

Glad you found a mouthpiece to your liking

Members online

No members online now.

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom