All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

M/Pieces - Ligs Mouthpiece help for yanagisawa Alto please

BeBopSop

Hi, I have just purchsed a Yanagisawa Alto 901, and although a Yanagisawa mouthpiece 6 came with it, I find it a bit hard work (wide) for me, can you please suggest a suitable mouthpiece please? I cant try any, (too far to travel) but I am wondering between a Selmer c* or a Selmer c** I am using a rico 2 and a vandoran 1.1/2 reed, I suppose what I am asking is a safe buy. A good all rounder.But I dont want any edge,harshness,volume,I am looking for roundness,warmth,dark,mellow. sound, thanks.....

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Hi, I have just purchsed a Yanagisawa Alto 901, and although a Yanagisawa mouthpiece 6 came with it, I find it a bit hard work (wide) for me, can you please suggest a suitable mouthpiece please? I cant try any, (too far to travel) but I am wondering between a Selmer c* or a Selmer c** I am using a rico 2 and a vandoran 1.1/2 reed, I suppose what I am asking is a safe buy. A good all rounder.But I dont want any edge,harshness,volume,I am looking for roundness,warmth,dark,mellow. sound, thanks.....
Good all rounder safe buy is a good old Vandoren Java. I'm not sure which tip for you, as you mention Selmer C* or c** which is very narrow for reeds as soft as 1.5, otherwise I would have said Vandoren A 25 or 35.

So maybe java A15 ???

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
I have a selmer C* on my Yani A901. It was given to me by my teacher (really must get round to paying her for it one day!) I was already playing this mpc on my Jupiter 500 before I bought the Yani, and have never played the mpc that came with the Yani.
I play a Rico Royal 3 reed on it, although I've only ever played a 2 1/2, then a 3.

BeBopSop

Thanks MandyH...only 7 miles up the road,do you know of any bands playing around here? Big band, jazz style?Practice bands...
thanks john

TomMapfumo

The Yanagisawa 6 is 0.072" - smaller mouthpieces would be the Yamaha 4C, a Meyer 4, Runyon 4 etc. If you want to play something inexpensive I'd try a Runyon 22 #4 tip opening (about £30) or get some easier reeds - a Rico Royal 1.5 or an Alexander DC 1.5 (currently on sale at Howarth of London) or a Marca Jazz 1.5. I'd personally do the latter as the Yani HR is a good mouthpiece. The Java is too big - the smallest is 0.081" - you would need something below 0.068", as recommended above.

Good luck, and I hope that you are enjoying your new sax.

jazzdoh

+1 on what Tom says
Try some different reeds,at .072 the mouthpiece is close enough and once you get the right strength reed it will be fine and as you progress you can just go up in reed size until you are ready for a more open mouthpiece.
The Yani mouthpiece is a good alrounder with a nice centred sound

Brian

Gallen

roundness,warmth,dark,mellow
This is what I'm getting with my Vandoren V5 A27 or Vandoren AL4 (my backup mouthpiece) - so long as I'm not forcing air through it.

That said, I can adjust my embouchure to give me some edge and some harshness. Volume wise, for these two pieces I mention, depends on reeds. E.g. Bari Plastic reeds give me like 5dB more volume versus my legere signatures.

jonf

I'd suggest you try sticking with the Yanagisawa for at least a while and try to build up your embouchure. The Yani is a good mouthpiece, and an easy blow,and the 6 is a relatively small tip opening. I'd respectfully suggest that, if you're having trouble with a mouthpiece like that (particularly with such a soft reed) you ought to think about your playing technique before spending dosh on another mouthpiece. On the other hand, if you don't like the sound of the Yanagisawa 'piece, then you might well be better changing it, but I'd stick with it if I were you.

For what it's worth, I find Selmer S80 C** to be like playing through a sock.

Just my opinion, of course, others may disagree.

Jon

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Thanks MandyH...only 7 miles up the road,do you know of any bands playing around here? Big band, jazz style?Practice bands...
thanks john
Yes...
I play in a community band at Powick: http://www.singlereedsmalvern.org.uk/

If you play Alto, we were a little inundated, and it may still be that we have an alto waiting list. That said, the last 2 practices were noticeably thin in the alto department, so maybe they'd consider opening up again. Sue is one of our conductors (and my teacher)
As we have 2 conductors, we have 2 parts to each rehearsal - Sue does Jazz / swing / blues / popular, Martin does a bit more classical. Initially I was rather sceptical about his side of things, but it's grown on me, and I enjoy it just as much.

BeBopSop

Thanks everyone for your careful advice, I have just got a vandoran size 1 today and combined with the yani mp is perfect! I can play from top to bottom effortlessly and I can play quiet or loud I am very pleased! So thanks to all who helped me once again.No mouthpiece merry go round for a long time, (famous last words) lol

TomMapfumo

Thanks everyone for your careful advice, I have just got a vandoran size 1 today and combined with the yani mp is perfect! I can play from top to bottom effortlessly and I can play quiet or loud I am very pleased! So thanks to all who helped me once again.No mouthpiece merry go round for a long time, (famous last words) lol
Good decision - saves wasting money and sound's like a good result. The Yani HR is fine, costs more than the Selmer S80 and does not get criticised for its sock like qualities!

BeBopSop

According to the Bill lewington alto mouthpiece chart, the Yani 6 is 76 thou inch opening.which sits above Yamaha 7cm, and Selmer between D and E, is the Yani 6 classed as a 'relatively small tip opening'?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
According to the Bill lewington alto mouthpiece chart, the Yani 6 is 76 thou inch opening.which sits above Yamaha 7cm, and Selmer between D and E, is the Yani 6 classed as a 'relatively small tip opening'?
Middling. Try a softish reed to start. It's not just the tip opening, but the facing curve as well.

TomMapfumo

The Jody Jazz comparison chart puts it at 0.072" which is on the small side - but the classic Meyer 5M played by many alto greats was the same opening. In the Jody Jazz chart there seem to be 3 basic categories - see http://www.jodyjazz.com/facings.altosax.html.
I play mostly a 0.076" but some mouthpieces up to 0.097" (Jumbo Java A55).

Was there any particular thinking behind the question, John?
Kind regards
Tom

BeBopSop

Hi Tom,the rico standard 1./2 (softest) is the only reed I can use to get a clear singing sound, any others like rico royal 1.12 or vandoren 1 seems to hard ie breathy, which makes me think the MP is a bit too open for me? The Meyer 5m looks a good bet may be?
regards
John

TomMapfumo

The other thing to consider is how tight your ligature is - too tight makes it harder to blow. Lots of mouthpieces are of inconsistent quality - Otto Link Selmer and Meyer are in that category. A good possibility would be a Lomax C Alto Mouthpiece (size C++) for sale at http://www.howarth.uk.com/saxsale.html for £66 - a sale item. Lomax are superb quality mouthpieces and it is the equivalent of a Selmer S80 - worth a look. A Vandoren Optimum or V5 might also be options - smaller tip openings c. 0.065" and a mellower sound.
It sounds like your embouchure is taking a while to develop. Finally try soaking a few of the reeds that you have bought just to see whether some play easier than others

Meyer mouthpieces are likely to sound brighter than you indicated sound wise.
By the Way the Yanagisawa 6 rubber alto mouthpiece is 0.072" - normally represented in millimetres (183mm)

Last edited by a moderator:
Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom