Tutorials

M/Pieces - Ligs Mouthpiece gurus : a question

Adrian63

I love my Berg I really do : Thing is over the years I have come to realise the perfect mpc for me has an extreme duckbill type profile . That's why I've played Quantums for so long . This Berg has the classic profile : not too bulky but how great would it be if it could be ground down to fit my preference . Just wondering out loud ; would this be possible or is there not enough of it to make this viable ? Anybody seen or know of it having been done ?
If I've not made myself clear I can draw a little diagram but I'm sure you get it !!

rhysonsax

Which baffle/chamber has the Berg got ?

With a 3 or 2 there won't be much material inside where you want to reduce the outside, so it risks breaking through. With a 0 or 1 there will be more material, so more scope for taking the outside of the beak down.

If you measure very carefully you should get a good indication of how much material can safely be removed.

Personally I really don't get on with very duckbilled mouthpieces and I have to build up the outside with several mouthpiece patches. I prefer a more conventional beak angle.

Rhys

Adrian63

Thanks Rhys...
I'm a bit waylaid right now a PayPal payment has gone amiss ; I'm going to ask on a separate post but it's 130 / 0...
Thanks man...

Adrian63

@rhysonsax : sorry man ; so i guess getting it done may be a possibility; that's good . As for duckbills ; the more exaggerated the better . Quantum is the best I've come across ; like its not even there..

rhysonsax

I assumed it's an ebonite piece, in which case it can be machined or worked by hand easily. If it's a stainless steel piece it would be a pig.

I think if I tried to do it by hand it would end up a total mess, but one of the experienced mouthpiece refacers should be able to make it look and feel good.

If you have an existing piece that is really comfortable for you (e.g. the Quantum), the refacer (or you) could measure that and see whether there is enough material in the Berg to get it to match the target beak profile without breaking through and ruining it.

Rhys

Adrian63

It is a metal ( ss ) mpc but all mpcs are crafted from a block of steel ; the only problem is as Rhys says is : is there enough to work with without it going through..
It's not a big issue right now but maybe in the future..

rhysonsax

It is a metal ( ss ) mpc but all mpcs are crafted from a block of steel ; the only problem is as Rhys says is : is there enough to work with without it going through..
It's not a big issue right now but maybe in the future..

Stainless steel is an absolute pig to work with and quite a lot of mouthpiece refacers refuse to tackle it. If they do, they typically charge extra for the time and the significant wear on their tools.

And working on the beak would be more work than doing a reface. And then the refacer would have to remake the bite plate pocket.

Speak to a few refacers, but I think the answer will be to look for a Berg made with the beak shape you like.

Actually, it would be interesting to know what difference in beak angle there is between your current Berg and a duckbill Berg (or your Quantum). Can you

Rhys

Phil

Commercial Supporter
I dont know a refacer in his right mind (or competency) that would reshape the beak of a stainless steel piece. I guess I would do it if a gun were held to my head...that is about what it would take.

Also, it would take so long you would get tired of holding up the gun.

I doubt you want to pay for it either.

Top Bottom