support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Mouthpiece for Soprano

Tommy Ng

Locality
South Yorkshire
Hi,

I am currently using a selmer D mpc on soprano. The low notes (below F) are dull and not responsive.

Thinking to get a Dukoff, probably D chamber.

Has anyone here used a Dukoff sop mpc before?? Any comments??

Cheers

tom.

That's going from one extreme to another isn't it Tommy? Isn't it worth trying something a bit more inbetween? I find a Bari Gold to be about the best compromise on sop. I haven't played a Dukoff sop but I did have one for tenor for a while. I sold it as it was just too screechy, and a bit squeak-prone too.

Incidentaly, I did once have a Selmer sop piece. Hated it. It was like blowing through a sock.

I asked a simialr question - see this thread. http://cafesaxophone.com/showthread.php?2389-Soprano-mp-advice

I am also using a Selmer D on my BW straight sop and while not familiar with blowing through a sock, it is pretty uninspiring. I have a list of ebonite pieces I am going to try next time I am passing a suitable emporium of saxophony comprising Rousseau, Brancher, Le Bayle, Meyer, Link, Vandoren Java, Yani, Beechler......etc.

I may be there some time ;}

Hi Dudes!

4 recommendations worth trying IMHO.

1. Rico Graftonite - I have a B7 Soprano, best £15 I have ever spent. Lively without being in any way screechy.
2. Vandoren V16 6S HR - my main mouthpiece of choice. Lovely tone but with some edge.
3. Brancher J15 Metal - very close, again not in any way painful - the trouble I find with Soprano.
4. Berg Larsen Ebonite - as initially used by Jan Garbarek. Again lovely tone but not sock like. Used
to play it on my straight soprano a few years ago - sold it when I decided to quit soprano in favour of Alto.

Obviously I've not played every soprano mouthpiece, but these are tried and tested. I have tried the Yani HR but found it a little dull in comparison, but not sock like!

Get a Graftonite at the very least (good range of choices available!) before shelling out the pennies
IMO.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

I might be going to woodwind exchange to try out a few mpcs. Has anyone been there before? How friendly are they to allow you to try their Mpcs??

Sounds like a friendly place. Can't imagine they wouldn't let you try their mouthpieces out from the way the website reads. Also sounds like a very good range!

Good luck!

By the way, do you all usually clean the mpc before trying it??

I would imagine that they are all sterilised beforehand, which is common practice. More important will be that your mouth is clean beforehand!

Kind regards

1. Rico Graftonite - I have a B7 Soprano, best £15 I have ever spent. Lively without being in any way screechy.
2. Vandoren V16 6S HR - my main mouthpiece of choice. Lovely tone but with some edge.
3. Brancher J15 Metal - very close, again not in any way painful - the trouble I find with Soprano.
4. Berg Larsen Ebonite - as initially used by Jan Garbarek. Again lovely tone but not sock like. Used
I'd agree with Tom on these- Though can't comment on the Graftonite as i've never played one. I'd also add ebonite Yanagisawas & BARIs- both ebonite and metal...

I play a Dukoff D6 soprano mpc on my Conn -25. That mpc really cuts through! I would like to described it as an "edgy, bright and loud" mouthpiece. It has a high baffle and the tip opening is .065". The chamber is medium. I'm not playing soprano that much but I like the Dukoff on my Conn. I use MH La Voz reeds.

I also have a Selmer metal "D" (I think it's a classical mouthpiece) The tip opening is 0.51". No baffle and a smaller chamber compared to the Dukoff ("darker and more mellow"). On a mouthpiece like this most players prefer softer reeds S/MS or 1½.-2½. At least that's what my friends says!! This mouthpiece plays fine on a Beuscher TT (LP-122). You can play pretty with this setup.

I can take some pictures of the mouthpieces this evening, so you can see the differences.

The Dukoffs are the right mouthpices for me. I use D6 on soprano, D7- LaVoz MH on alto and D9-plasticover 3½ on bari. My bari is open up to c 0.140" and the baffle (more like a rollover) is taken down so the low tones comes out better. I was playing D7/X7 or D8/X8 on my tenor but now I'm using Rovner Deep-V D40 #8.

Thomas

I am looking for a mpc that sounds a bit Kenny G-ish. He is on Dukoff D8 with Hemke 2.5. D8 might be too much for me, so i will try something less than D8.

My selmer D gives too much resistance on low notes. My lung nearly explode everytime i go down the register. I think a wider tip might help.

Here is some pictures of Dukoff D6 and a Selmer "D" soprano mouthpieces.

The Dukoff is shorter than the Selmer mpc. Dukoffs become tarnish after some years.
http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm201/thomsax/?action=view&current=selmerdukoffjmf.jpg

Selmer has no baffle but a smaller chamber comparing to Dukoff.
http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm201/thomsax/?action=view&current=selmerdukoffkammare.jpg

I use the original ligature on my soprano mouthpieces.
http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm201/thomsax/?action=view&current=selmerdukoffjmflig.jpg

A Dukoff D8 is c .075" tip opening.
You can play smooth on a Dukoff as well. But most players, like myself, likes the edgy and piercing tone that a Dukoff can produce.

Thomas

Get a Graftonite at the very least (good range of choices available!) before shelling out the pennies
IMO.

Kind regards

Excellent advice - never realised they were so cheap. Ordered one from Trevor Jones so we'll see how that works out before I start looking at anything more exotic.

we'll see how that works out

Mmmm - not well. Has the sort of sound I am looking for but needs lungs like furnace bellows to blow, even on a very soft Hahn synthetic reed. Oh well, it was only 20-odd quid.......

So that's why I can play a B7 - I use Marca Jazz 2 Reeds, and subjectively find it an easy blow. Mind you once I mastered the trombone my breath control is very solid, and I can shift a lot of air (more than I ever could when just playing sax).

Hope you find the right mpc on your search.
Kind regards

What opening did you get for the Rico? I've found (on tenor) that the 5 was a bit tight, good for starting on, but the 7 on Alto is great.

What opening did you get for the Rico? I've found (on tenor) that the 5 was a bit tight, good for starting on, but the 7 on Alto is great.

Since you are OK with a 7 on alto, i think you can go for at least a 7 or 7* on tenor. I switched from a 4C to an 8 without any difficulty. Somehow i feel that a wider tip mpc helps to play low notes (most will disagree however).

A B5 tenor is c .095" tip opening and medium chamber. B7 is c .105" tip opening.

Back
Top Bottom