All profit supporting  special needs music education

M/Pieces - Ligs Mouthpiece and reed dillema.

dref

HI all I don't know if I am posting this in the correct section, but here goes. I am a relative beginner who plays a G4M tenor, with vandoren java 2.5 reeds and a Bari Esprit mouthpiece. I have also been using legere signature 2 and 2.25 which I like very much as they are so easy to blow. The trouble is my teacher does n't like them. He wont let me use them during a lesson. He is a very generous man and gave me an E Rousseau JDX7 which he is trying to encourage me to use instead of my Bari Esprit . I can't blow the damn thing. I have trouble getting the low notes and have to blow real hard to get the high notes. It makes my ears pop. My teacher says I should persevere as my chops will develop into this set up. I am not so sure. I would prefer to go back to my old easier set up or perhaps try a Windcraft Etude. What should I do?

Yours Dref.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
What is your tutor's reasoning?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I'd politely say thanks, but no thanks to your teacher. No point in making life difficult for yourself to fit in with stupidity. You have to stand up to prejudices like this. Your teacher's there to teach, not dictate your gear. If you were having a problem and a change was suggested, different matter. But as you have something that works, there's no real justification.

Fraser Jarvis

Think the role of your teacher like any teacher is there to guide you not insist you do anything, when I turned up for a lesson with a Lawton 10b mouthpiece my teacher was keen to try it for himself, after he tried it he handed it me back with a smile on is face and told me it was to much for him, but if it suited me and my style of playing then good for me.

Greg Strange

Locality
Hamilton, Waikato, North Island, New Zealand
I have E. Rousseau SJ 6 (Studio Jazz) soprano, JDX 8 (Jazz) alto and Studio Jazz SJ 4 tenor mouthpieces. The soprano and alto mouthpieces play great, the tenor is a real dog to play. I thought it was me, tried various horn, reed and ligature combinations, still a hard blow, but I found a discussion thread on Sax On The Web a few years back and most of the opinions was the tenor mouthpiece was not very good. I see no point in playing a mouthpiece that has not got a good reputation. It appears this opinion is with the Jazz hard rubber mouthpieces and not the Classical mouthpieces.

Greg S.

Last edited by a moderator:

dref

I think my teachers reasoning is that in order to advance one has to leave the comfort zone. however I don't think I'm ready for that yet. I think that he has a lot to offer me and is a very nice man who is becoming a good friend. I dont want to hurt his feelings. I will keep him as a teacher but I think that I will insist on using what gear I am happiest with

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
When it's time to change your mouthpiece, the one you change to may be a little challenging at first but should offer you things you can't refuse. More flexibilty, better tone, easier intonation. You may need a softer reed with a bigger tip opening and maybe a different make will suit it better, but if it won't blow it's not the right one.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Going from a low baffle .085" tip opening mouthpiece to one with a .110" tip opening and a wedge baffle takes a great deal more embouchure control. In my experience when an inexperienced player tries to play a set up that is beyond their level of embouchure development, it only leads to frustration and bad habits. I would suggest you tell him, "I know you want me to advance to a more professional set up, but I don't think I'm ready for that just yet". Tell him to give you exercises in long tones throughout the range of the saxophone to build up your embouchure muscles, and have you try that mouthpiece at a later date.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Unless your Esprit is damaged, please allow me to disagree with your teacher.
I recommend a mouthpiece upgrade only when the current mouthpiece reaches its limits.

If you could have a professional career on a Bari Esprit, there would be nothing wrong with it. There are even people playing Selmer C* mouthpieces, out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

rsproduction

Locality
Florence (Italy)
HI all I don't know if I am posting this in the correct section, but here goes. I am a relative beginner who plays a G4M tenor, with vandoren java 2.5 reeds and a Bari Esprit mouthpiece. I have also been using legere signature 2 and 2.25 which I like very much as they are so easy to blow. The trouble is my teacher does n't like them. He wont let me use them during a lesson. He is a very generous man and gave me an E Rousseau JDX7 which he is trying to encourage me to use instead of my Bari Esprit . I can't blow the damn thing. I have trouble getting the low notes and have to blow real hard to get the high notes. It makes my ears pop. My teacher says I should persevere as my chops will develop into this set up. I am not so sure. I would prefer to go back to my old easier set up or perhaps try a Windcraft Etude. What should I do?

Yours Dref.
Hi, I'm a newbie. I use a set-up similar to your (G4M Tenor Saxophone + Yamaha 4C mpc + 2 / 2.5 strength reed: Rico orange, Vandoren classic....). Do you suggest me to use the legere signature 2 or 2.25 to go beyond the limit of the "good reed" choice? Tks

dref

Hi Reproduction, It might be a good idea to try a legere signature reed. You can buy them singly for about £20 each from Reeds Direct. This may sound expensive but they last much longer than cane reeds, do not need pre wett'ing and are a very easy blow indeed. I use these reeds with Bari Esprit and Windcraft Etude mouthpieces both of which I find much better than the Yamaha 4C which i also own.I took my GM4 to a tech' for a set up. it only cost £30 and the difference is remarkable.I would recommend anyone to do the same.

rsproduction

Locality
Florence (Italy)
Hi, many thanks for your kindly replay! My G4M tenor sax seem to play well just out of the box. My teacher have also tested it and found it no so bad for its price...Probably a good set up should generally improve it. My sound emission is quite good if I use a soft reed, like Vandoren 2... but it will going to degrade (like fluttering) as the reed can become more wet. Probably I need to improve my breathing techniques. I want to try the legere reeds anyway to eliminate the reed choosing problems... But what about its strength? 2 , 2.25 or 2.5 ?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Stick with cane until you have your embouchure properly developed. sysnthetics are rather too expensive to throw out every time you need a harder reed.

Fraser Jarvis

I'd start with the 2.25 Legere reed from Reeds Direct, if you find it to hard or to soft they will change it but try not to mess up the packet to much if you think you may need to send it back.

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
I would suggest you tell him, "I know you want me to advance to a more professional set up, but I don't think I'm ready for that just yet". Tell him to give you exercises in long tones throughout the range of the saxophone to build up your embouchure muscles, and have you try that mouthpiece at a later date.

Absolutely spot on advice, in my view.

dref

I think that Kevgermany's advice is probably very sound, but if I were you I would indulge myself in a little Christmas treat.
A Legere Signature 2.25 reed from Reeds Direct. You may or may not like it,but it's only £20 for a little bit of Christmas fun

Lelly

Scarily Tall!!!!
Locality
Ashby de la Zouch
I was fortunate enough to get a couple of free sample legere reeds (after I met the sales director in a bar in venice) and they are OK in my opinion. Not wonderful but vcertainly easy toplay and if you are going to double they are very useful indeed as they obviously don't dry out.

L

Top Bottom