support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Mouthpiece thoughts and care

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
I have plenty of time these days to take care of mouthpieces. The plated mouthpieces are just to clean and dry. I have to work a little bit harder on mouthpices wo protecting surface finish. I clean all my moutpieces with distilled water with a few drops of detergent. I use mouthpiece patches.

Soprano: Dukoff D6 silverite (.66") or Selmer "D" (.51"). Dukoff is with the D chamber and have a baffle. Some kind of bullet chamber. The silverite mouthpieces are made of a soft metal and must be cleaned often. Never leave the reed on the mouthpiece. A mouthpiece I bought new in 1981. The Selmer is a wo baffle and have a round chamber. Silverplated.

Tenor: I like Rovner Deep-V's. I'm into rocksax and these mouthpices are perfect. Lots of volume. The #10 (.130") use to be my main piece. But today I alter between # 8, 9 and 10. Not playing as much as I should, The nickelplated are better for me. They have a bullet chamber. I found an old CZ (I think!?!?) unmarked brass mouthpiece in a Kohlert case. A small bullet chamber, high baffle, short facing and rather wide tip opening. A moutpiece with a "compact and focused" sound. Maybe a CZ answer to BL 0 SMS mpc? A good mouthpiece for a Martin HC Committee.

Baritone: SG "LowRider" (.120"). Bare brass mpc with a step baffle and a big round chamber.

I use the original ligatures except for the CZ mouthpice. A BG FL jazz is fine on this mouthpiece.

mpcone.JPG
mpctwo.JPG

Reactions: Sue
That is pretty extreme...distilled water. I just wish players who send me pices to work on would just dry their piece when they were done playing.

I also make spare money from hard rubber mpc players who insist on keeping their reed on and lig clamped down 24/7.

I use heavy water (deuterium oxide) on mine, that way I know if they're stolen, they'll be easy to find with a radiation dosimeter.

I use heavy water (deuterium oxide) on mine, that way I know if they're stolen, they'll be easy to find with a radiation dosimeter.
That’s a good trick - deuterium is stable... tritium oxide would do it

I occassionally wipe down my hard rubber mouthpieces with a drop of olive oil to restore the sheen.

If you like your mouthpiece, work over a padded surface, lest it slip and hit the floor. If you need an excuse to replace or reface it, work over a tile floor.

Dropping my Morgan 3C on a saltillo tile floor was one of the best things that happened to me. I sent it to Jon Van Wie for a reface to 0.090”, and have been playing it ever since (20+ years). Morgain didn’t even make their 6C at the time, but has added the size since then.

What's your address? I'll send you mine to clean ;)
You're welcome to visti me/us. Your're a Rocker?? I can extend the Rocksax meeting/-workshop with "How To Take Good Care of Your Mouthpiceces".

Reactions: Sue
That is pretty extreme...distilled water.
Yes, maybe ......? I live on the countryside and we have our own well. That means we have all minerals in the water. A good and healthy water. But it can leave spots and corrosion on metals. We talk about Dukoff silverite mpc's ...... ?

You're welcome to visti me/us. Your're a Rocker?? I can extend the Rocksax meeting/-workshop with "How To Take Good Care of Your Mouthpiceces".
Well Scandinavia is still on my list of place to visit, so yo never know.. one of these days. :D

Back
Top Bottom