Subscriptions and donations are given to special needs music education charities
SYOS

M/Pieces - Ligs Mouth-piece patches

half diminished

I use a Jody Jazz DV NY metal mp on my tenor, it's the only one I own. The patch that came with it has lasted over 10 months but recently gave up the ghost so I bought some Yamaha ones. Totally rubbish! Gone through 2 in less than 2 weeks. Fortunately I managed to source some direct form Jody Jazz, hand delivered as it happens from the US by my soon to be 'son-in-law'.

I bought 10 so hopefully that will last me 100 months or more :)

What do you guys use if any and how long do they last?

Chris98

I use a Jody Jazz DV NY metal mp on my tenor, it's the only one I own.
First of all, what's the matter with you, you should at least have two and be hankering after another >:)

The patch that came with it has lasted over 10 months but recently gave up the ghost so I bought some Yamaha ones. Totally rubbish! Gone through 2 in less than 2 weeks. Fortunately I managed to source some direct form Jody Jazz, hand delivered as it happens from the US by my soon to be 'son-in-law'.

I bought 10 so hopefully that will last me 100 months or more :)

What do you guys use if any and how long do they last?
I use a thin clear one and I've never yet replaced it.

I've just looked at the packet and they are: Kölbl 0.4mm, I think I got them from Reeds Direct.

All the best,

Chris

OP
half diminished

half diminished

First of all, what's the matter with you, you should at least have two and be hankering after another >:)

I've just looked at the packet and they are: Kölbl 0.4mm, I think I got them from Reeds Direct.

All the best,

Chris
Thanks Chris, I'll 'bank' this for later (when I eventually get the saxello out - if I don't sell it first :().

Nah, just 1 is the way to go. I had loads for the alto and never really settled with one. This time with the tenor I spent longer trialling mps and I'm very happy with this one at the moment. Keeping things on an even keel is working for me and Karen my teach says my sound is improving each time she sees me.

Same goes for the new Magnum neck. I'd love one but at present it's just another variable I don't need.

One sax, one mp, one type/make of reed.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Thin black ones- again, never had to replace them. It might be a bit of personal 'smoke and mirrors' but i'm convinced thick ones subtley compromise my sound (I remember pulling off a thick patch half way through a gig once as it had come loose and I'm absoutely sure my tone was a bit beefier afterwards)....

Young Col

I've got a slight uneveness on my front teeth and use a patch just to take up the slack as it were and save scratching the mpc with the edge of a tooth . I have been using thick black patches but find I get through one in about a month/6 weeks. Tiny bits of the material come off and get on my tongue. Ian , if you recall, when we were at Myall's a few months ago Griff suggested using thin clear Vandoren ones. I just ran my last black one out and fitted a new clear one today, so I'll report back, but first off it felt fine.

I had the same thoughts as Jules. Does a thick patch have any damping effect on the resonance of a mpc? I would have thought someone would have done some research into that already. Perhaps it is just subjective.
Colin

Saxlicker

All the best,

Chris
As long as you find these comfortable, these are the business!!!
They are on the mouthpice till you pull them off and if you manage to bite through it, your embouchure is very tight and you are biting way too hard.

They sometimes outlive my ownership of mouthpieces :D

Just off at a tangent for a mo... I used to get them from John Myatt but was very disappointed when my last order arrived and they'd actually sent different patches and packed them individually loose. I don't know whats happening there they were always pretty good but I rang them and described the packing and patches I normally recieve but they told me, they are now only supplied loose. They wouldn't have it that these were any different than my previous mail orders.
I had one of each in my hand. Funny how they happened to be thinner and a different shape as well!!!! and I even sent the one Kobl I had to John Myatt in afore mentioned packet. No reply.

Way to Go Myatts....shame

I went to Reeds direct and got them and haven't looked back - rant over :shocked:

chadders

I use the yamaha small mouthpiece patches (probably about a 1-2mm thick), and have not had any problems with them at all. Been using the same one for well over a year now

Chad

thomsax

I use two small BG clear patches 0,4 mm instead of one thick. In the 70's I glued a piece of rubber from a table-tennis racket. Worked, but not good for the mouthpieces! You can also use teeth cushion. A sheet of plastic/rubber that you place on you teeth, like a boxer. Last for a two hours gig!

Thomas

Rogerb

I don't think so, Lori :)

Their function, IMO, should be to save the mpc from scratches....unless one has uneven top teeth, they really shouldn't be necessary, although some people clearly find them more comfortable.
My teacher persuaded me to replace a thick black one with a a very thin clear one(also Kolbl, from Reeds Direct).
I use black electricians tape to prevent my Olegature's marking the resin mpc barrel..... but I'm not sure I'd like that stuff in my mouf for any length of time ......to me, it's rather like using cork-grease as lip-salve... possibly not 'suited for purpose' :D

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom