All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Mouldy reeds

Marty-B

New Member
Messages
8
Is it possible to clean the black mould off of reeds ,or are they no longer any good(breathing in microscopic spores etc).I have only had this problem since I started storing my reeds in a TTS tin,never when using manufactures reed guards as supplied.
 

Lelly

Scarily Tall!!!!
Messages
167
Assuming you do not have dozens of reeds in this condition, why the hell would you want to clean the mould off? Take it as one of life's little lessons and buy some new ones - ugh!

Otherwise, try Milton?

Lx
 

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Messages
7,337
Playing a mouldy reed isn't a health hazard assuming:

1)You don't have some immune deficiency that leaves you susceptible to fungal infection
2)You've scraped off the furry bits so there's nothing to inhale in any quantity

I agree that a soak in Milton wouldn't go amiss if only to make the reeds (marginally) more palatable
 

QWales

Senior Member
Messages
722
I'm no expert but if you are concerned and don't want to bin and buy new, a scraping with something like a razor blade and a soak in some white(clear) vinegar for a couple of minutes should do the trick.
 

Justin Chune

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,011
I would just wash them under the tap and you could wipe them with Listerine or similar. If they are really bad, dump them. I only ever got mold on reeds when I stored the reed holder in a Ziplock bag. This was a tip from a book as well.

So, dump the tin and get a reed holder, or go back to using the holder they come in.

Let us know if you develop any symptoms.:)

Jim.
 

BigMartin

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,904
I say dump 'em. Moulds and fungi penetrate deeply into whatever they're growing on. Scraping is really just cosmetic. Why risk your health for a few quid?
 

llamedos

Senior Member
Messages
431
Moulds are more than aesthetically undesirable - I seem to remember that there is a species of mould, which grows on certain nuts, called aspergillus and this can be carcinogenic. You have only to think of the extensive root systems of the edible fungi to realise how the cellular structure of a cane reed can be invaded. I would hesitate to accept that a product such as Listerine would totally eradicate what is within the internal reed structure purely because moulds and fungi differ from bacteria which Listerine and similar products are designed to affect. "If in doubt, chuck it out" might be a wise course to follow!

Dave
 
Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom