All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities

M/Pieces - Ligs Most underrated Tenor Mouthpiece - Meyer USA M9M

Rojaros

I wonder why there is apparently so little folks playing that MP on tenor sax. I think it's greatly underrated!
I bought a Meyer M9M Tenor on Ebay and found it a bit boring in the beginning, to the point that I listed it again on Ebay. Luckily nobody was interested. When finally a very low offer came in I thought I would check it once again, and more by chance than by systematic search pulled out a reed that just let it sing.

Since then I'm exploring it more and more and comparing to other MPcs I have and the more I explore it the more I think that it is actually an extraordinary mouthpiece. The larger tip openings are rare, but anybody having a chance to try a 9 I'd strongly recommend to do so and give it some time, because I had to learn that it needs to be played a bit differently from my other pieces and also needs harder reeds than I'd expect for a 9 tip opening.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
I had a situation where I was playing in Europe and found that I'd left my bag of mouthpieces at my daughter's place in Oslo. So went to a sax shop in Paris and had a play of their mouthpieces. The Meyer Tenor 8 medium chamber was the best of the lot. But I've got to say that it's not my favorite compared to the bag of mouthpiece I left in Oslo.

I seldom use it now, but can say that it's pretty good for the price. Anyone interested in buying it? Donation to the site if sold here. Will be listing this mouthpiece and others soon.

Phil

Commercial Café Supporter
I like the old NY versions better but I still fail to get excited about them. Not that they are not good or cant sound good..they just dont float my boat.

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
I have a Meyer 8 tenor mouthpiece with a large chamber. It’s pretty good, but not my preferred piece for the occasions where I play tenor.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
That's funny. Tons of sax players own and play Meyer rubbers.

Are you saying they are more popular on Alto because that famous jazz guy used one ?
Probably true, more Altoists have them.
But I know quite a few Tenor players who play 'em as well.
The Meyer M's are one of my 3 tester mouthpieces on every horn I refurb, A, T, B.

I think if they have a criticism about them, the one I see most often seems to be they produce a tone which is a bit too tame or bland for some folks....

IMHO they are great at widening the lower harmonics and producing a really rich sound. On certain vintage horns they really allow the horn's intrinsic wide and dark tonality to display.
And on modern horns with particularly bright/reedy and sometimes thin tones, they tend to make the tone 'richer' and less one-dimensional.

I do think that, if viewed over time, they tend to be a 'piece which moves you sonically and blowing-wise from one place to another place...meaning, for people who want a significant step-up, they work quite well...but perhaps the evenly-balanced nature of their tone production eventually leads players to seek something more 'exciting' (?)

Last edited:

GCinCT

Subscriber
I play a hard rubber Meyer on alto and I love it. I think Meyers are great mouthpieces. Alto is my main horn, so I play Meyer far more than anything. (Also play Meyer on soprano.) Good for me on tenor, just not my preferred piece.

I get a pretty bright tone with my Meyer on my Super 20 and I like that a lot.

OP
R

Rojaros

Yes, for alto it's kind of one of the MPs to go. But I don't find many references to tenor players using Meyer. I have some tenor MPs that are more expensive but I keep returning to the Meyer more often these days, discovering it's broad qualities.

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Subscriber
I play a hard rubber Meyer on alto and I love it. I think Meyers are great mouthpieces. Alto is my main horn, so I play Meyer far more than anything. (Also play Meyer on soprano.) Good for me on tenor, just not my preferred piece.

I get a pretty bright tone with my Meyer on my Super 20 and I like that a lot.
When I picked up my alto it had a meyer mp with it, I've started using it for some things as it seems a bit brighter that my Pillenger.

I like it, so when I went looking for a sop mp, I made sure a meyer was included in the different mps I tried at my local sax shop, and came away with a sop meyer :)

Still love my Pillenger on Tenor.

TimboSax

Subscriber
@TomboSax Which Pillinger do you use on Tenor?
I've just had a look and it says NYT on it. I tried out a load of different ones round at Ed's place a few years back and this is the one we thought sounded best for me. He made me one in Bronzite ('cos Bronzite is cool), and I love it.

OP
R

Rojaros

Thanks. I kind of felt drawn towards a Pillinger MPc but didn't have much chance to try one yet...

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
It's an interesting conversation here because a few folks have mentioned they consider their Meyer to be have a 'bright' quality.

I would never describe a Meyer rubber as a bright mouthpiece. The opposite to mine ears, in fact....

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Thanks. I kind of felt drawn towards a Pillinger MPc but didn't have much chance to try one yet...
I have two tenor Pillenger mouthpieces

NYT is dark. NYTHB has more power and brightness. I originally tried both by post and chose the NYTHB. Later, I bought the NYT second hand from this forum

Both pieces excellent

GCinCT

Subscriber
I would never describe a Meyer rubber as a bright mouthpiece. The opposite to mine ears, in fact....
Interesting. Perhaps it is me more so than the Meyer. To be fair, I tend to sound bright on most mouthpieces I have tried.

OP
R

Rojaros

In my experience the Meyer is just very rich in harmonics but in a way that doesn't make it aggressively bright but interesting. Some mouthpieces are bright in the sense of almost screaming. Meyer isn't (at least for me).

Like a good coffee the sound of this Meyer is rather rich in nuances without anyone being predominant...

TimboSax

Subscriber
It's an interesting conversation here because a few folks have mentioned they consider their Meyer to be have a 'bright' quality.

Interesting, I've always liked a dark, warm sound (hence the Pillingers I have are his darker ones), and my alto Meyer is brighter than my alto Pillinger, but still has a lot of the body that I associate with my preferences. So maybe not bright in the grand scheme of things, but a move in that direction for me.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Never tried a Pillinger, although if it is darker than a Meyer I'd probably like it.

In my experience the Meyer is just very rich in harmonics but in a way that doesn't make it aggressively bright but interesting.
Like a good coffee the sound of this Meyer is rather rich in nuances without anyone being predominant...
That is how I also experience the sound. Harmonics which are not present on horns using some other mouthpieces (particularly midrange harmonics) suddenly appear with the Meyer.
Again this results, to me, in a wider and 'balanced' spread of harmonics...and I am finding as I talk more to players much better than I that oftentimes that 'even'-ness is not necessarily what they are seeking....

Pete Effamy

Bright, fluffy, it's mostly down to to the reed you stick on it and the way you play it. Some sound bright, some don't. I had and used a hard rubber 6 for years on alto as I was doing a lot of duo restaurant gigs and a mainstream jazz combo. I blew it like Desmond (Paul, hopefully not Tutu) and it gave me the sound and control that I wanted.

Wonko

When I went to try out a few mouthpieces for my tenor about a year ago. I ended up with 3 mouthpieces that I liked (out of about 8 that I tried). One of them was a Meyer HR, the others were Otto Link (one metal and one HR). So I'm not surprised that Meyer is a great mouthpiece.

I dropped the Meyer out of the selection because the chamber size was smaler than both Otto links (based on what I had read I had decided that I wanted a large chamber). In the end I went home with the HR Otto link, still pleased with my choice.
I know that I have a lot to learn still, in a few years time I might want to go for a new mouthpiece again. The I'll probably have a whole different approach than now, just because my technique and abilities will have grown by then (Well, I hope so anyway ;)).

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
In my experience the Meyer is just very rich in harmonics but in a way that doesn't make it aggressively bright but interesting. Some mouthpieces are bright in the sense of almost screaming. Meyer isn't (at least for me).

I just received an M8M that I found used after reading this thread. I had a 6 Large that I had started playing again recently but it's not original as I added a bit of a baffle to make it more interesting. So I was curious to try another version and that one appears to be a pretty good one.

I like your description. It's obviously brighter then the 6L even with a baffle but nicely so. I'll probably stick with it for a while to try and master it some...

Thanks for the tip!

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom