All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Most expensive car park in britain?

Young Col

Russell Road NCP behind the Brighton Centre. £25 for 4 hours plus (£20 for 3-4 hours)!

To Brighton last Sunday en famille to see Question of Sport Live. Not a TV recording but a full road show. Usual personalities plus a bit more. Bit late getting down there and wanted a quick meal before the show so dumped the car and didn't look at the charges. Sprinted out afterwards to avoid queues and again didn't look, but on past form - last time about two years ago for Bill Bailey's excellent Tinselworm tour - was expecting about £8 for about four and a half hours. So I fed in a tenner and was confused when it asked me for another £15. As I looked dumbly at the machine (like the Stig buying a London Underground ticket) I was aware of about 500 people behind me muttering "what's that old fool doing?", so I paid up. Finally realised the charges as we trudged up the stairs past the notice.

I don't recall even central London being that expensive. Anyone going to the Brighton Centre for a gig - beware!

So, is that the most expensive car park in Britain? Probably - unless of course you know better!
YC

jonf

Anywhere in Westminster Council's mad hatter anti-biking area. You have to pay a pound a day, or part of a day to park a bike in Westminster on the street. So, if I nip to the bank just of Victoria Street, for five minutes, parking is a quid. Your £25 works out at about 10p per minute. My five minutes for a quid is 20p per minute. And you can easily get 8 bikes in one car parking space. Robbing bandits. So, I now boycott Westminster completely. **** 'em.

AndyG

Not quite the same, but I had to do a job in a shop on a Sunday morning and knew it would only take about 15 minutes. Left my van on a closed down pub carpark only to return 15/20 minutes later to find it clamped. When they came to release it, I was told £120 + another £65 for cancelling the tow truck.:shocked:
£185 for 20 minutes is most expensive carpark/mistake I've ever made, fortunately the area manager of the chain of shops I was working for told me to spread the cost over their next few invoices till it was covered.:welldone

Young Col

Pence per min Jon that's a lot and beats me, but still not quite the same as forking out fully £25.
Andy, that's one solution, but the other is to keep an angle grinder in your car. Slightly different circumstances, but I've seen one used and it gave rise to one of the funniest incidents I ever witnessed.
YC

JasonC

Brighton is expensive, more expensive than anywhere in London I have parked, although I haven't parked quite everywhere in London yet!
When I parked in Brighton I said I lost my ticket as this was cheaper than paying the metered amount of about £100 odd, the lost ticket price was about £50-£60.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
top tip- try the "Churchill 1" carpark just up the hill from the seafront NPC- it's a lot cheaper (I suspect the shops had some say in that)

TomMapfumo

Honestly, you English..............

In LLandovery it is 10p for up to 2 hours, and 20p for the whole day - realistic prices, if you ask me.........;}

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

thehunt

I remember last Christmas driving to Ronnie Scotts to see Ray Gelato, if i remember rightly i paid £35 for approx four hours in an NCP car park round the back of Frith street. It took me over 4 hours to get there due to Christmas shoppers. I only live 18 miles from there. It was so cold the wife did not want to get cold going on the tube. Won't be doing that again.

Young Col

I think you take top spot for actual forking out of cash then Phil.
Thanks Jules. Yes, have used that one and will do so in future!
Nice one Tom but it would take about a day to get from Llandovery to Brighton.
YC

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom