support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones More eBay Sopranos

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
I'm suffering from an attack of post-Christmas GAS, and there are a couple of modern sopranos on eBay that I'm wondering about:
- John Packer 243 - this is their "Intermediate" Taiwanese instrument, not the cheaper Chinese one.
- Bauhaus Walstein SSS-OY - brass, without a separate neck.

John Packer JP243 Soprano Saxophone - Superb Condition
and
Bauhaus SSS-OY Soprano Saxophone, very good condition.

I've never played soprano, so I want an instrument that will be easy to blow, and I would like one that sounds "smooth and dark" rather than penetrating and bright.

My alto is a Buescher True Tone, and I love it, but I'm inclined to get a modern soprano because I'm guessing the intonation will be easier (and I doubt if I would find a Buescher soprano at the sort of price I'm prepared to pay right now).

There is no particular hurry, and I think I would prefer a curved soprano (no strong reason, but I'm guessing it will be more comfortable to hold), so maybe I will wait, but these are tempting me.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these models, or an opinion about them?
(Prejudiced opinions are fine by me!)

i can't claim actual knowledge about these saxes, but i have plentiful supplies of prejudice. i have heard that the john packers suffer a bit from build quality issues. i have heard a bauhaus but not played one, it sounded rather sweet, quite round for a modern horn, but then i wasn't blowing into it. sopranos are generally held to be more difficult to blow than an alto, and i've found that intonation is often a problem. of course this is me, but i'm sure it takes some practice. a lot of the sound is down to the mouthpiece.

I will echo the mouthpiece quote above. Even more important on a sop than an alto or tenor IMO. I have had three sops and have come back to a curved Roy Benson one each time for comfort and playability. I have heard that the Bauhaus sops can be very good but have had no experience of the JP straight. Curved for me all the way and I have five sop mpcs...

My choice of starter mouthpiece has been a Selmer C* for my other saxophones. Anything wrong with that on a soprano?
That is the same as my default piece for sop, It suits me. The Windcraft from Dawkes is also very good and a reasonable price. I am sorely tempted to try an Absolute when I get the money though!!

which selmer c*? they are not all the same. the C80 suits me better than the C90 but i'm sure that's just taste. the selmers seem easy to blow, as long as you don't blow too hard. i have a selmer soloist (modern version) for soprano which is very focussed and clear, i prefer something a bit fluffier.

i agree, although i have no bari. i use a bit wider lay myself but the mouthpiece is basically alright i think. i've used something like 7 different soprano mouthpieces now and one of the best is a yanagisawa.

The only thing that'd stop me with these is the fixed neck. When I had a straight sop, I fojnd the curved neck much more comfortable.

For mouthpieces, I tried Selmer Soloist, Yamaha 4CM, Yanagisawa Hr (probably a 5) a no name or two and the PPT 7. PPT suited me best.

Sop reeds are tricky as well. Best I found were the Marca Jazz.

I have actual experience of the sopranos from the makers of the ones you're interested in, although not the exact model. I've owned the more basic John Packer, and it was a good sax, build quality was fine and it played very well. I currently own a Bauhaus Walstein sop, curved in my case, and I like it very much. Plays well with a good tone, quite mellow, although the mouthpiece makes more of a difference than the sax in how it sounds. Not perfect though. Build quality is OK, but the metal is softer than some people claim - I bent a key on mine using a single finger. On the older models the pads were awful, very sticky (I've also had BW alto and bari). Later ones seem to be better.

I also have a Buescher True Tone alto, and a True Tone sop as well. I have never found the intonation on the TT sop any sort of a problem, and I've played mine for years - over 30 years - with a modern mouthpiece. What is a problem is the ergonomics. Unless you have very petite hands, the palm key are too low to reach comfortably. Even with tall brass risers they're awkward.

I've had 14 sops over the years, and I prefer curved, they're tiny and easy to play - straight ones put a strain on your right thumb unless you play with it pointing down and use a sling.

If you've never played sop, I'd suggest one of these mouthpieces.

Bari Soprano Saxophone Bb Mouthpiece Esprit - John Packer

Really very, very good for next to no money.

On intonation, you need to get the mouthpiece position dead right - to within half a millimeter. Then it should be Ok. I mark the cork once I've found it. However on the straight sop it was past the end of the cork, so I used masking tape.

I've never played soprano, so I want an instrument that will be easy to blow, and I would like one that sounds "smooth and dark" rather than penetrating and bright.

Wouldn't we all. The sound comes from you. None of them will be smooth and dark unless you make them be.

You'll probably sound very ducky for quite a while no matter what you buy. Mouthpiece is more critical than on the others. Get yourself a cheap trainer to get you going. The Bari esprit is cheap and reasonable quality. Sop needs more control than all the others in my opinion. When you feel like you're getting somewhere have a try at some other pieces. One will pick you.

I and some other members have been pleasantly surprised by the Selmer S80 but in a wider tip than you would use on the larger saxes. I'm fine with a C* on tenor alto and Bari but the sop plays nice and feels right with an F.

Straight sop is heavy on the right hand thumb and the sling takes less weight than other sizes. Having already weakened the joint playing an ancient heavy clarinet I went for the curved variety. It sits nicely on the sling. It does generate comments and jokes. Toy saxophone, Charlie Cairoli etc and it feels a little odd if you switch straight from Baritone. I sometimes forget I'm wearing it. It's smaller than some of the 1970's medallions I used to wear.

Yes they are mine - I suddenly realised how many saxes I had collected, and something has to go. If someone on the Cafe wants to buy, I will sell either for £260 plus post. 5% to Pete's charity. I only didn't put them on the Yard Sale because I have found it hard to post photos and its a small market!

I have owned both the jp043 - the basic model - and this jp243. The 243 is a completely different beast, a complete redesign, and much better. I think it is a direct competitor with the Bauhaus.

I now play soprano pretty much exclusively, and for what its worth here are my thoughts on getting that smooth and dark tone etc:

1. Play a wide open mouthpiece. Soprano mouthpieces are...well, small. A big tip opening shouldn't be a problem for someone who plays maybe an alto Otto Link 6 for example. I played that kind of tip opening on alto and transferred to a Vandoren V5 S35 no problem. I have played Yani 6 and 7, Selmer S80 C* and E, and they all made me sound like the proverbial duck. Thin pinched sound, no expression. I was surprised when I looked up the V5 S35 on the Jody Jazz Soprano MPC chart and saw it was almost off the scale - what, little me, manage that? I cannot recommend the V5 enough. Everything I want in a soprano sound.

2. Use a sling. It does take the pressure off.

3. Back off the air - they are small horns and don't need much puff. They are not small altos! Having unused, stale air in the lungs is more of a problem. Learning about blowing slow, warm air is key.

4. Work a lot on the low notes and aim for a rich, smooth subtone sound (look up Wayne Shorter Footprints Soprano on Youtube and you'll see what I mean.) - then progressively work up to the high notes trying to keep the same effect. Difficult but works eventually. Play Faure's Pavane a lot!

5. Play soprano and nothing else!

That's it really ...

Thanks for the mention Andrew!:)