support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Backing Tracks Moondance range in B minor for tenor

eb424

Locality
london
Morning drive you mad time again...I'd like to do moondance.....I have the score in B minor and the backing track in A Minor...The notes are to low for the tenor if I take it up an octave willn it still match the backing track....Thanks Eddie

It should do, Am is the original key, play around with both registers and see what works.
It's a great tune and a firm favourite to play on a gig.

Yes - if you take it up an octave it will match the backing track.

Moondance has been a Café Song Of The Month, so you can also find notes and backing track here (Concert G minor):

Last edited:
It should do, Am is the original key, play around with both registers and see what works.
It's a great tune and a firm favourite to play on a gig.
Hi @jazzdoh, thanks its just a lot of work to do and then find it doesnt match...Need to push myself a bit harder so me and a mate are going to try to get a session in an elderly folks home....they can hide but at least they can't run...

It will match the backing track, shouldn't be much work just play the same notes on your score but up the octave or stick with the lower octave and work on the low notes, or you could play it in another key that suits you.

Yes - if you take it up an octave it will match the backing track.

Moondance has been a Café Song Of The Month, so you can also find notes and backing track here (Concert G minor):
Hey thanks @nigeld think i need the practice transposing on the original key TBF....Has hello Dolly been song of the month....

It will match the backing track, shouldn't be much work just play the same notes on your score but up the octave or stick with the lower octave and work on the low notes, or you could play it in another key that suits you.
it's just a long song......I'll crack on in original key I think...Thanks again...

I'd like to It's one I need to get sorted....Not sure how to do it tho...I have a K,V backing track and score to match but don't know the tech stuff......

I'd like to It's one I need to get sorted....Not sure how to do it tho...I have a K,V backing track and score to match but don't know the tech stuff......
We have members happy to sort dots and backing tracks for any host :)

Jx

@eb424 , where do you get hung up transposing? As far as I can tell, you write out all your tunes with letters. Can you not just go up/down the next letter(s) in the alphabet, keeping in mind the key? It would be great if we could teach you to fish, so to speak, rather than do all the work for you on every tune you want to play.

Why don't you give this one a shot yourself, post the result, and let us advise on corrections.

Just to observe: if you get a something transposed to Bb, like on musicscore etc. it's probably shifted by just two semitones, if the software don't specifically know it's tenor (could be clarinet etc. or just transposed because) - or if you do it yourself be by just two semitones

The Tenor Saxophone transpose by and octave and two semitones.

So you will, by default, be playing an octave too low and should - strictly - play up an octave.

But both will sound harmonious.

Nes pas?

Last edited:
Hi @lydian i always buy the score in the same key as the backing track even if the option is there for the transposed key..it gives me music reading practiceHung up is harsh its part of the process..i don't get what you mean do all the work...I get stuck and ask questions but have nearly 100 completed pieces i play. Yes i write out with letters on the lyrics some pieces are 9 pages long itsveasier for me i cant read the dots quick enough..all i asked was would it still be ok if I took it up an octave as lobg as the backing track was in the same key..it does.

Just to observe: if you get a something transposed to Bb, like on musicscore etc. it's probably shifted by just two semitones, if the software don't specifically know it's tenor (could be clarinet etc. or just transposed because)

The Tenor Saxophone transpose by and octave and two semitones.

So you will, by default, be playing an octave too low and should - strictly - play up an octave.

But both will sound harmonious.

Nes pas?
Oui...I had to move it up because the score I had started on a low F# ( F# 1?)

The part you bought started on this note? Was it written for clarinet?
1669507676011.png

I was responding to your post to Jeanette asking why nobody was transposing charts for you. Wouldn't you like to learn how to do it? In this case, you should be able to transpose an octave in your head without writing anything down since all the note names are the same as the original. But in other cases, if you can't buy the chart in the right key, transposing is a good skill to have. As I alluded, just walk up/down the alphabet, keeping the new and old key in mind.

I was responding to your post to Jeanette asking why nobody was transposing charts for you. Wouldn't you like to learn how to do it? In this case, you should be able to transpose an octave in your head without writing anything down since all the note names are the same as the original. But in other cases, if you can't buy the chart in the right key, transposing is a good skill to have. As I alluded, just walk up/down the alphabet, keeping the new and old key in mind.
I don't think I said that..lol..I do transpose all my own stuff but get stuck at times and ask here..Don't use a chart just from memory...Im not sure if it was written for clarinet but it works fine..needs a bit of jiggying...and of course quite a bit of practice..

Then arent they doing it @Jeanette..lol
Lol..Guess i dont know exactly what is entailled. I thought the host would provide the score and backing track..I was simply saying in my usual roundabout way if there is a host and other members are supplying the dots and music...what does the host do..

Lol..Guess i dont know exactly what is entailled. I thought the host would provide the score and backing track..I was simply saying in my usual roundabout way if there is a host and other members are supplying the dots and music...what does the host do..
The host literally chooses the tune and then hosts the thread. Thanking members for contributions, comments as much or as little as they wish on posted tracks. Provides examples from YouTube of previously recorded copies of the tune.

They can provide the dots and backing track if they wish but don't have to as some don't have the means to.

Jx

Last edited: