Mom of Sax and Trombone students from Paris

kazkou

Hello,
I am an American in Paris and my kids are pursuing music lessons at the local conservatoire (city music school). My daughter, 10 years old, is in love with the saxophone. My son picked up the trombone by chance and really likes it. I am hear to ask questions about the sax for my daughter cause I don't know anything...help. :)

randulo

Playing saxophone 21 months - 2.4% of my life
Subscriber
Welcome to the café! Tell us more about the instruments, too! Many are here to help.

EdJ

Trombone is a great instrument. Always in demand because so few people play it well. I hope you all enjoy such a beautiful city

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Quite so. It is sometimes called a "wind generated, manually operated, pitch approximator".
How do you pronounce WGMOPA? :headscratch:

Sorry, @kazkou and welcome to the cafè.

I'm almost sorry to read your kids are at the conservatoire. I had mine there too, although not in Paris but in a nearby suburb and it's not been a great success. Maybe I'll wrong and they are getting better, but my feeling is that they tend to be an elitist, classical oriented only school that work hard at disgusting kids after a few years.

I went myself and was lucky to have a very positive sax teacher even if too classically minded for me. And our Jazz teacher was great, but rather isolated. He was the reason my kids continued a little. But that was not enough...

Now, if you need help regarding anything sax oriented, you found the right place!

Take care, neighbor!

OP
K

kazkou

Thanks @saxyjt. It's ok I can handle the trombone jokes. I was surprised when my son chose it and wanted to stick with it, but it's great having a little band at home. I should pick up trumpet and we'll practically be set :)

I was very worried about the conservatoire and avoided it at first, but when we got a spot I decided to try it for a year. We have been very lucky because this conservatoire is great with kids and the teachers have been very open to all kinds of music. Chorale is full of world music. and their instrument teachers are into Jazz and Salsa so the kids have a lot of fun. Last year's end of the year concert was a salsa and afro-cuban fest. let's keep our fingers crossed they will have as much fun this year. Solfege - music theory - is the only thing that bores my daughter but my son is writing songs already (he's mathematical).

EdJ

The other massive winner for the trombone (apart from the advantageous supply and demand issues so players are in demand) is the Yamaha silent brass mute. As expensive as the instrument but a great investment. The newer ones are flush with the bell so you can leave it in in the case - much better than the old ones which stick out.

You can play quietly to everyone else but like your in a cathedral through your headphones. You can play with others and have a backing track plugged in. You can use it as a built in gigging or recording mic.

YAMAHA SB5X MUTE TROMBONE SILENT BRASS - Woodbrass.com

I had the old style sticking out one for trumpet when I was younger

OP
K

kazkou

@EdJ good to know... I might have to make that investment once my neighbors (or the rest of us in the apartment) have had enough :)

EdJ

The old style were fine and if it was a gig bag you could sometimes leave them in the bell but I couldn't in my trumpet case and either put it in the space next to it with valve oil etc or kept it separate in its box.
The newer type being flush with the bell take up "no space" as you leave them in the bell you just need a small amount of space for the now smaller box for lines in/ out / volume / reverb, the lead (from mute to box) and headphones (from box to ears).

On the older mutes the box was twice as big too.

Worth knowing the pros and cons of old vs new as you may be prepared to compromise and buy the £45 one on eBay (old type) rather than the £150 new ones. A real dilemma for me with my obsession for efficient space use battling my inherited love of a bargain.

Top Bottom