All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Modern Ska

tsax2012

I'm forming a ska band, and most of the ska bands with a decent sax sound are rather old. Do you know any more contemporary bands with a good sax sound aside from streetlight manifesto? I'm not looking for a Lee Thompson, but I need to hear something to get an idea of the sound I need to look for.

One that also has brass in its horn section would be useful.

Fraser Jarvis

Check out El puseycat ska and Kingsize, both local groups from Leicester playing the old school Jamiacan dance hall stuff.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Topcats from here in the UK, Planet Smashers from Canada... sure I'll think of more later....

TomMapfumo

New York Ska-Jazz Ensemble would be worth looking up on MySpace.......!

Kind regards
Tom

dooce

Ariya Astrobeat Arkestra - I posted a link up here a few weeks ago. Although they are probably more afro than straight ska but still have a great horn sound.

tsax2012

Love the planet smashers and the NYC ska jazz ensemble. The Topcats sound like 50's rock more than ska. I haven't listened to the last one yet. Thanks for the suggestions! Now for the real challenge, find a clarinet in a ska band.

TomMapfumo

......................................thanks, Officer Dibble.................... :shocked::w00t:;}

Love
Tom:cool:

BTW - leave the Clarinet out of it for Gawds' sake!

Last edited by a moderator:

TomMapfumo

Good point..................................! Some good stuff out there.............!

Kind regards
Tom

tsax2012

klezmer...very interesting. I like this sound and I think my band will to. We can definitely play something like that. little more...american but that general sound is good.

RedBottom

I love El Pussycat - did so from the first time I heard them and subsequently got my bloke to badger them so much for their CD (he used to work at De Montfort Hall) that they gave me a copy FoC.

I went to see them once at De Mont when they playing support to a band that featured at least one of The Specials. We'd had complimentary tickets and ended up walking out halfway through the main act, so disappointing was it after El Pussycat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom