support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Microphones Modding SD Systems SX-1 to XLR 48V

Janosax

Locality
France
Hello,

I have a SD Systems SX-1 microphone. I want to use an IOS audio interface with XLR only input. SX-1 has a preamp box which has line level output, but i don't want to use a DI box, as I need a very compact and mobile setup. Can I unsolder the SX-1 mic from the preamp, and solder it to a XLR plug and use 48V alimentation from the audio interface?

SD Systems SX-1 Saxophone and Trumpet Condenser Microphone:Amazon.co.uk:Musical Instruments

Thanks

have you tried plugging the preamp into your interface using either jack to jack or jack to xlr leads (depending on what kind of inputs the interface has)? A DI box isn't always necessary
If the interface provides phantom power then it should be ok to wire the mic to an xlr plug and run it direct without the preamp into a mic input on the interface. It's probably a back electret condenser mic, so will tolerate voltages less than 48 volts
There's no technical data on the SX-1 on the SD Systems website, but you could contact them and ask their advice - the email is at the bottom of the page on their website. There's some tech info on wiring their mics to wireless transmitters with the colour codes for the wires that may be useful for what you're doing - Tech

Hello and thanks for your answer and links.

I haven't got in all my wires the jack to xlr I need to do that testing. In fact I buyed an Irig Pro I/O audio interface for my iPhone (it's also compatible with my laptop). Audio quality is top notch, but after several weeks testing it, direct monitoring is truly a missing feature (will get a refund). So I buyed tonight a new Irig Pre HD version (they anounced/sell it since a few days), XLR only but with direct monitoring switch which allow for zero latency monitoring. I don't use midi in/out of the first one, audio quality is supposed to be the same with same AD/DA and preamp, and the only thing missing on the new one is xlr/jack combo. I sent a mail to SDsystems but no answer yet. SX-1 preamp has a volume button (and 9V battery), and I just buyed a jack to xlr 30 cm wire. Also, I plan to buy a very compact one inch large diaphragm condenser Irig studio XLR mic which will have xlr output, so it's not a such big deal. But SX-1 is nice to have as an option/live sessions mic, hope it will works or will be modable with xlr plug. All this gear is to use with/inside my Saxmute One, so I need very compact form factor for audio interface and mic. I already tried in the mute large diaphragm condensers mics with great results, but they have too big form factor and alter sax intonation. I use this audio gear for outside playing too as it's pretty mobile, and also plan tu use iPhone/Irig combo in live conditions.

I will get some answers in a few days : ))

IK Multimedia | iRig Pro I/O

IK Multimedia | iRig Pre HD - Digital microphone interface with studio quality preamp for iPhone, iPad, Mac and PC

pro snake TPA 1003 MP – Thomann Mobile

IK Multimedia | iRig Mic Studio XLR - Large-diaphragm analog condenser microphone

Last edited:
Just received the mail answer from SDsystems and unfortunately the mic is not 48v compatible. Hope the jack xlr patch will do the trick.

The preamp box supplies the power to the condenser capsule.

Generally they work with 9 to 12V Phantom Power (instead of a regular 48V Phantom Power) supplied by the belt pack.

I also suspect that "preamp box" contains a kind of frequency filter.
Once a I tried a SD Systems mix with an adapter without his "preamp" and sounded really awful.
(I'm not a fan of SD Systems condenser mics... but without its preamp it sounded very very bad, boxy and midrangy).

If the preamp box comes out with a line level signal, you just need a cable adpter.

If you want to use it without its preamp, you'll probably need a in-line transformer (like most clip on mics come with) from the +48V Phantom supplied by the audio card to the 9/12V Phantom required by the mic: not impossible to find but you need to know the exact wiring of the microphone.

Many thanks for explanation.

I received my jack to xlr 30 cm wire today, and made some tests. Almost no differences in level, which is good thing. Playing with sdsystems preamp volume and irig preamp gain allow for good results. So there is no issues with initial topic.

I have however a question: can this connection cut a little bit frequencies, as it’s not line to line level? It seems that low frequency is a little bit less rich, but it can be 100% placebo effect. I’m not sure, need to test more. Jack to jack 30 cm is planet waves high quality, and jack to xlr 30 cm is cheap ssnake but with gold connectors.