support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mobile Sax Repairs

Diminished7

Just after a bit of feed back to see what kind of demand there would be for a Mobile Sax Repair Service.

Rather than taking your horn to a shop for a service, spring or pad replacement, someone would come to you and do it at your home.

Is this kind of thing already available and is it something that you would consider?

it's an interesting idea - I have to catch a train to a different city to go to a repairer I can trust and some of the best techs live out in the sticks where I can't get to..
it depends now much it'd cost and whether you'd want to park on my drive over night in a camper van while you do a full repad and some dent removal

Because a repair tech would need to charge for the travel time and expense to go to where the customer lives, it would make even small, simple repairs far more expensive than they would be if a customer comes to a shop.
Agree, but how many of us factor in the cost of our own time and travel into getting a sax fixed? For me it's 6 hours minimum to deliver and collect, plus two return train tickets and 45 km driving. Means that a simple pad swap should be costed at the price of a used sax.

Interesting idea, though not every home has sufficient ventilation for soldering irons and blowtorches.
Not so sure. Most work doesn't need heavy duty heat. Matt Stohrer works in a caravan. Check his YouTube videos.

Just after a bit of feed back to see what kind of demand there would be for a Mobile Sax Repair Service.

Rather than taking your horn to a shop for a service, spring or pad replacement, someone would come to you and do it at your home.

Is this kind of thing already available and is it something that you would consider?
I'm very fortunate my repairer lives 20 minutes away but I think it's a great idea,. I would think you would have set set up a very

I think it is a great idea, my son was a tree surgeon and a guy used to come to the house around twice a year and collect his ropes to test and bring them back a few days later, they were usually left in the porch in the early hours of the morning and I he would travel all over the country. Maybe you could set up a route and offer an annual service, and do repairs at the same time. ( I think you would need a camper van).

Yes Matt did a cool job converting an old Airstream into a shop so if he has to move he can take it with him.

Taking something that big on the road would cost some serious cash...especially with the gas prices over here.

I may be losing my tutor/tech due as he could be retiring due to ill health. A mobile tech would be great but the only parking is on a busy road about 100mtr from my house. I have foot access only to my home.

For me, the key thing is the quality of the work, not where the person is.
There are several repair people close to me, but I prefer to drive 1 1/2 hours to take my saxes to someone who I know is really good.

Thanks for your opinions.

Some major repairs would not be possible I.e major over haul, body works maybe even a full repad.

However a diagnosis, service, pad reseat, pad replacement, spring adjustments or repalacements can be achieved with a small amount of hand tools in a relatively small space within a half day window. This could either take place at the customer property or in the back of a van. If not then the instrument could be taken away and returned.

Techs seem to be few and far between and a bit of a dying art.

I live in NL and over the last couple of years there have been an increasing number of 'mobile repair at home' services that have sprung up. One (typical Dutch!) example is that someone will come and fix your bicycle at home (rather than take it to a repair shop).

I too would prefer to take my sax to a known, reliable technician. I'm lucky because it's 5 mins walk. In other circumstances, I could imagine phoning a 'sax doctor' that could visit my home today or tomorrow. From her /him I'd expect nothing more than minor tweaks

This begs the question whether such a service could be profitable,

there used to be travelling blacksmiths, so why not a travelling saxsmith?

also you could travel round the country doing sax repair workshops, teaching basic repair skills

I think it's a great idea if you can arrange your schedule to pick up more than one customer in an area and will save on rent unless you are lucky enough to work at home!

Attending workshops is a great idea

Like any business you need to earn a good reputation,
Jx

I live in NL and over the last couple of years there have been an increasing number of 'mobile repair at home' services that have sprung up. One (typical Dutch!) example is that someone will come and fix your bicycle at home (rather than take it to a repair shop).
Over here in Ghent we had a mobile bicycle repair, this one worked out of a cargo bike (Tuub, uw fietsende fietsenmaker). He has now set up a real bike shop but still has his rounds on the bike.
I think a mobile sax repair service could be a good idea. Should be paired with a good (automated?) system for making appointments (through a website perhaps). Make sure that your potential customers can find you and book an appointment.
I guess you would limit yourself to a certain area that is easily manageable. And probably keep one or 2 days per week that you can do the more extensive repairs at your place?
It won't work in an area where you have one or more reputable sax-workshops.
And maybe you should consider the fact that most people would want you to come around when they are at home. So maybe you would need to concentrate your rounds in the evenings and the weekends?

I think it's a great idea. I don't drive, so I have long bus journeys to my local repairers, which is tedious with a tenor and nigh impossible with a baritone..
Someone coming to my house could check over all my saxes in one go, and do any minor tweaks necessary on the spot.