All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Saxophones MJB Sax

Does anyone have any knowledge about these?
i spotted a couple on Ebay and whilst i would not normally advocate buying without trying,if i can get one cheaply enough, provided its not a complete turkey i might be tempted to buy one as a backup horn.
one advantage being that they are just down the road from me so i could save postage.
regards Zoot

jonf

I don't, but I may be about to find out as I'm bidding on a couple of them. After my expereinces with buying brand new sops for sixty quid last year I feel confident enough to take a punt, as with you, if the price is low enough.

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Plus if it turned out that bad you could stick a light bulb in the bell and it would make a wacky cheap cool table lamp.>:)

jonf

:))):)))

Seriously, the sixty quid sopranos played really well, perfectly in tune with a fairly biright tone. Mouthpiece was crap, of course, but that was to be expected. No worse than the ones supplied with my BW sop. So as long as the price stays fairly low I'm pretty optomistic.

:))):)))

Seriously, the sixty quid sopranos played really well, perfectly in tune with a fairly biright tone. Mouthpiece was crap, of course, but that was to be expected. No worse than the ones supplied with my BW sop. So as long as the price stays fairly low I'm pretty optomistic.
Ah! so your the one bidding on both of them,
i hope we can each net one
i'm keeping my bid at what i feel is
a sensible amount as this is an "unknown"

jonf

With a bit of luck we'll get one each and we can compare notes.

breathless

ive no interest in buying one but would like to see what your talking about! but searching under MJB shows up with no results!

can you post the link?

or post what your searching under.

rgds Lee.

jonf

Well, I got one in the end, a straight sop. The tenors I was bidding on went for £140 or so, more than I was prepared to gamble.

Will report back in due course.

Anyone else get one?

jonf

Well, I got it today, after a bit of a mix-up with Yodel. Not the sellers fault. I've just given it a quick look over and a blow. Initial observations:

1 It's not branded as MJB. Says Song Lin on the bell

2 Looks OK, some signs of use (mine was not sold as 'new'). All pads, springs and bumpers present and correct.

3 Good case

4 After a couple of very minor tweaks it plays, right through the range.

5 Tone? Not bad, although I'm playing it through a mouthpiece which cost more than the sax

6 Intonation? Seems fine.

7 Action feels OK. Not as crisp as a new Yani, but that would cost about 20 times as much.

So, initial impressions are of another ultra low cost, perfectly playable soprano sax. Will give it a more thorough play later this evening and post any updates.

breathless

Hi Jon, glad it arrived ok.
So pleased for you that it wasn't a fake of some sort, but then as you said the seller seemed ok, certainly answered my questions to satisfaction.
Sounds like you got a reel deal there.

I'm all the more interested now, even if it just sat on my fire place, would make an attractive ornament LOL.

Look forward to hearing from more about it.

Lee.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom