support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Missing Mapfumo.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Whilst doing the odd sitting down tasks performed on Sunday mornings, quite often listen to Radio 4's Sunday Worship, not from any religious interest but the varied musical output.

Today's broadcast came from Swansea, so where was the Skabertawe, trombone, trumpet, cornet and numerous saxophones? Just the usual pipe organ, although if you were playing that Tom, you're quite good but no Caribbean influence.

Today I am just getting ready for a family outing to Rhossili, with a couple of friends from that London. Never combined jazz with religion - you end up with some New Orleans type noise.

Have a good day, OG!
Lots of Love
TomMapfumo:cool::cool::cool:

Well here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbgKzMb8OrA
More broadly though, whether or not you are religious, you can't get away from it that religion is a part of the sycretism that made up early jazz and has continued through ever since. The bands that existed in and around New Orleans in the late 19th/early20th century played at all sorts of functions - dances, open air parties, weddings and funerals. The religious background in songs such as Just a Closer Walk With thee is obvious. And these same bands used ragtime rhythms and introduced melodic variation and then more complex improvisation across their whole repertoire. Jelly Roll Morton's Dead Man Blues is a brilliant depiction of a slow funeral march and then the looser feel of improvisation around Flee as a Bird on the return from the cemetary.

The countless recordings of numbers like The saints; Lord, Let me in the Lifeboat; Down by the Riverside, all atest to a religious influence, along with gospel. Ever heard George Lewis's Jazz at Vespers? And more recently Duke Ellington's Sacred Concerts. Or the later music of Ubdullah Ibrahim which is so very spritually based along with the African influences. I suspect there's a book written, or waiting to be written on this.
YC

What's wrong with being religious? And, as YC pointed out, blues/jazz has it's roots deeply embedded in the players' beliefs. Same for a lot of other music, especially classical music in it's broader sense.

It's only realy since the mid/late 20th century, with the increase in secularism, that fashion has started to dictate that religious connotations in music are unwelcome. Something that I'm not really comfortable with, as you may guess. And, despite this, there's a large repertoire of modern religious music, much of it well worth listening to.

Hi Guys!

I am actually a Theologian, just don't like the common confluence in early American Jazz of religion and music, and really most early US Jazz, on a personal note. First and foremost I am a North European and believe that Jazz equally has its roots in gypsy culture in Eastern Europe, and folk culture throughout Europe. North European Jazz is what I most enjoy, as well as Latin and African influences.

Anyway had a lovely time swimming in Rhossili, and now practising my trumpet!
Lots of Love
Tom:cool:

I am aware that the above may sound a bit strong - and I don't want to offend anyone who loves early US Jazz. I love the concept of small groups of 4 to 11 instruments playing interesting and challenging music is such a way that every instrument has its own voice, as distinct from Orchestras, Military Bands etc. Just not keen on the earlier sounds produced in the US, albeit played with consummate skill and artistry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Rhosilli is a fantastic beach but there is a 156 step climb down to it and I needed to sit down on the 15 mile car journey back home in order to regain my breathing ability. I am taking my trumpet to France in a couple of weeks in order to keep up practice, and need to remember my Shhhhhh Practice Mute (Manufactured in NZ!).;}

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Back
Top Bottom