• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
sax.co.uk

Missing digits

DaveV

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I love the sound of the sax and would love to learn, although I'm getting on a bit now. My main problem is, I lost the top of my left index finger, I had a fight with a lawn mower when I was seven, it won. It is missing to just below the first joint below the nail. I haven't aquired a sax yet, is it much of an issue to have the sax modified if necessary and what would be involved, or would it be manageable to play as is? Dave.

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
It’s common to have adjustments made such as raising the palm keys, this would be a variation on that I suspect. It may not be necessary. You need to try a sax - demo lesson with a teacher, or a proper music shop, then a tech to make the adjustments- probably using a mouldable material to build up the key.
There are techs on here better qualified than me to advise...

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
I think you may be OK with an alto, but probably not tenor. The issue would be you need to stretch that finger a bit more than usual and it could then easily interfere with the palm keys - these are keys activated by the left palm for high notes. You could possibly have one of those lowered, but I think the best thing would just be to have an extender added to the B key for your index finger - an easy mod for any half decent technician.

DaveV

Thanks very much for the replies. If I had to go down the key mod route, would I need to have the bis key extended along with the B too and maybe the high F? Does anyone know of any technicians in the Bath, Somerset. area?

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
Thanks very much for the replies. If I had to go down the key mod route, would I need to have the bis key extended along with the B too and maybe the high F? Does anyone know of any technicians in the Bath, Somerset. area?
I would think the bis key also. Easy mod.

I think @griff136 may be around those parts. Re; the high F, this may be OK, depending on how much finger is remaining. If it is the all the way down to the joint, then may. I mentioned the issue earlier of the palm keys, this would not be an issue I think for the (front) top F. In the first instance teacher can tell you if the mod is necessary and the technician will come up with the most elegant way to do it.

Colin the Bear

Depending on how flexible your wrist still is you may not need any mods at all for alto. Many players, me included, have fingers positioned so they overshoot the pearls/buttons. Pop in a shop and see how you fare. Or just order one and if it needs modifying it's not a big deal. You could even have a go yourself with some cold cure putty like milliput or sugru. Or even get the lawn mower out and trim the rest to match. ;)

DaveV

Depending on how flexible your wrist still is you may not need any mods at all for alto. Many players, me included, have fingers positioned so they overshoot the pearls/buttons. Pop in a shop and see how you fare. Or just order one and if it needs modifying it's not a big deal. You could even have a go yourself with some cold cure putty like milliput or sugru. Or even get the lawn mower out and trim the rest to match. ;)
HaHa, nice one. At least they would all be even then.

nigeld

festina andante
Subscriber
Does anyone know of any technicians in the Bath, Somerset. area?
First step could be to pop into Headwind in Bristol and try holding some saxes to see how much of a problem you have. The staff there are very helpful. You may find that some brands are better for you than others.
Headwind Music | Bristol | Woodwind & Brass Instruments

If you need modifications then @griff136 would be a great person to do them if you can travel to Exmouth.
http://www.dg-music.co.uk

Justin Pavey in Wrington would be closer. He is primarily a brass instrument repairer, but this sort of thing would be right up his street.
Woodwind & Brass Musical Instrument Repair - BrassWindFix

Depending on how big a modification is required, there is also Laura Swales in Winterborne, just north of Bristol. I don't know if she could do major brass bending and soldering like Justin, but I'm sure she could make key extensions.
Laura Swales Woodwind Repairs Bristol

I have used all three of these techs, and can recommend all of them.

DaveV

First step could be to pop into Headwind in Bristol and try holding some saxes to see how much of a problem you have. The staff there are very helpful. You may find that some brands are better for you than others.
Headwind Music | Bristol | Woodwind & Brass Instruments

If you need modifications then @griff136 would be a great person to do them if you can travel to Exmouth.
DG Music | WOODWIND AND BRASS MUSICAL INSTRUMENT REPAIRS & SERVICING

Justin Pavey in Wrington would be closer. He is primarily a brass instrument repairer, but this sort of thing would be right up his street.
Woodwind & Brass Musical Instrument Repair - BrassWindFix

Depending on how big a modification is required, there is also Laura Swales in Winterborne, just north of Bristol. I don't know if she could do major brass bending and soldering like Justin, but I'm sure she could make key extensions.
Laura Swales Woodwind Repairs Bristol

I have used all three of these techs, and can recommend all of them.
Thank you very much for all the replies and info, will make some enquiries.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator