All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones missed out on eBay!

C_Claudemonster

Formerly saxgirl22
Locality
England, UK
not that I'm bitter or anything lol, but just missed out on this Adolphe sax Alto if the link works
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300951174...IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&autorefresh=true
Cannot believe it went for a staggering £487?! Hope it isn't in high pitch!!! I was only going up to £200 for the collectors item value of it but guess it's clearly worth alot more. Cannot believe it tho, there was no info really on condition or whether it was playable. LMFAO

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
not that I'm bitter or anything lol, but just missed out on this Adolphe sax Alto if the link works
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300951174...IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&autorefresh=true
Cannot believe it went for a staggering £487?! Hope it isn't in high pitch!!! I was only going up to £200 for the collectors item value of it but guess it's clearly worth alot more. Cannot believe it tho, there was no info really on condition or whether it was playable. LMFAO

I was watching his other one, the New Wonder II. It went for £160. But the seller wouldn't respond with info about condition so you have to add a few hundred on for overhaul. Same with the Adolphe. May have had cosmetic issues too, both of them.
Gut feeling was to leave the Chu so I wouldn't feel so bad if I were you.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich

Careful - it's not that special at all. Adolphe Sax (junior) was bought out by Selmer in the late 1920s. Not long after that Selmer sold 'A Sax' branded saxes and this is one of them. They were a second line to the Selmer branded saxes. Details varied and the info on the web is a touch misleading however. Some are also engraved with UK dealers names. Some had the beautiful sax curved keyguards, this doesn't. Some people think the earlier Selmer made saxes were made by Sax junior working under Selmer, and maybe used original Sax bodies, possibly with Selmer keywork. It's clear that existing parts from Sax were used in some, but how much and in which saxes is not clear. Others say they're just Selmers, stencilled A Sax.

I can't remember off-hand how many of these Selmer made, but it wasn't more than about 4000. If you want a pre-Selmer A Sax sax, look for similar engraving, but with much higher serial numbers. The 208 serial number is too low for an original A Sax sax, with all the modern features (e.g. rollers).

My ex teacher (now retired) has one of these in superb condition. Plays well, has a beautiful tone and the curved Sax keyguards. I'm more than slightly envious. But I wouldn't have paid more than 100 for this one.

Here are a couple of pics...

Bell_Keys.jpg LH_Side.jpg right.jpg

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
I had one of these Selmer Adolphe Saxes and I would put the value now at about £700-£800 in great condition. The one in the auction could need 400 or £500 to get it going so you didn't miss a bargain. It's not collectible either as it's had a lacquer job.

Mine wasn't original, it was silver (original) but with lacquered keys:

adolphe.jpg

I have some sound clips of it, I had a long time and used for lots of sessions.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I had one of these Selmer Adolphe Saxes and I would put the value now at about £700-£800 in great condition. The one in the auction could need 400 or £500 to get it going so you didn't miss a bargain. It's not collectible either as it's had a lacquer job.

Mine wasn't original, it was silver (original) but with lacquered keys:

I have some sound clips of it, I had a long time and used for lots of sessions.
you should have hung on to it - must have been the only one made with LH keywork;}

Greg Strange

Locality
Hamilton, Waikato, North Island, New Zealand
If my memory serves me correctly Raphael Ravenscroft recorded the famous "Baker Street" solo on one of these horns.

Greg S.

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom