SYOS

Misaligned Bundy tenor table key

svCompassRose

I recently bought a Selmer Bundy tenor vintage 66-67. I put new pads in and it plays pretty well. The problem is that the G# table key is not centered relative to the other table keys. It's offset towards my hand so my little finger tends to reach beyond it. I searched the internet and finally found pictures of another Bundy of about the same vintage. The pinky key on that horn isn't centered either, but it is closer than mine.

I considered bending the key arm to reposition the touch, but it would be very complicated as it would require bending and straightening different sections of a short arm.

I noticed that the key arm is not attached (soldered?) to the middle of the touch. (see pictues) I would think they would fabricate these pieces using a jig to keep everything in place, but maybe not this part. Assuming the key is soldered together I may move the arm over to the center of the touch.

I would appreciate it if anyone with access to a Bundy tenor of this vintage would look at the G# key to see if the arm is attached to the center of the touch and whether the touch is off center relative to the other table keys.

pinky top.JPG

pinky back.JPG

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Well as you discovered that isn't a mistake...later Bundys had a larger G# touch centered, but earlier ones are more akin to the Elkhart by Buescher 30A and 31A models (which morphed into the Bundys ) and they had a table exactly like yours. I understand what you are saying, that yours seems just a tad scooted towards the G# ...but again really not that unusual.

Keep in mind, those parts of the key are hard-soldered (silver-soldered)...not soft soldered (lead mix). So it takes a very precise torch and hella lotta heat to silver solder (and silver-unsolder)...oftentimes along with (as you said) a jig. Not a DIY project.

A pro tech can alter that for you if you really want a G# touch centered or extended. Probably cost you around $100ish.

Another alternative would be to find a later Bundy junker, the kind with the wider touch, and swap the key off of that one.

If I were to do it I would saw off the touchpiece and replace it with a longer/wider one, then silver solder it on. I would not mess with the armature at all.

Last edited:
OP
S

svCompassRose

Hey JayeNM and Jbtsax, thanks for the responses. I had seen pictures of the later models with BUNDY on the key, so I was surprised that this one did not have the name and that it was so small. Now I know why.

I like the idea of looking for a key from a later model - a lot simpler and easier than hard soldering.

Stephen Howard

You can make the key wider with Sugru.
It probably wouldn't work that well.
You'd be looking at building a considerable extension that would be largely unsupported. I doubt it would stand up to the force that often gets applied to the touchpiece.

I've done 'budget' mods on similar keys, which involves soft soldering a brass plate underneath the touchpiece to provide a sort of shelf on which compounds like Sugru or epoxy can be built upon. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than building a proper extension and silver soldering it in place (and it does far less damage to the finish) - but it won't win any awards for aesthetics.
It's also entirely reversible should the need arise.

jbtsax

Subscriber
Hey JayeNM and Jbtsax, thanks for the responses. I had seen pictures of the later models with BUNDY on the key, so I was surprised that this one did not have the name and that it was so small. Now I know why.

I like the idea of looking for a key from a later model - a lot simpler and easier than hard soldering.
Finding just that key would be like looking for a "needle in a haystack". When I go to my shop today I will look for one in my "bone pile" of parts, but it's a long shot at best. You would have a better chance if you looked for a "parts horn" on Ebay for a low price with low cost shipping. You would not only get the part you need, but lots of other "spares" as well. You might even offset the cost by turning around and selling it yourself on EBay for "parts'.

Top Bottom