All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

minor IT irritations...

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Here's an odd one- trying to backup 'my music' on my Windows 7 PC. Open the 'my music' folder and a window for my portable hard-drive. Can't copy/paste out of my music (either right click- which just brings up Windows media player options, or keyboard shortcut- which appears to do nothing)- also drag/drop produces shortcuts on the portable drive but won't move files..... wazzat about? :confused:

navarro

Here's an odd one- trying to backup 'my music' on my Windows 7 PC. Open the 'my music' folder and a window for my portable hard-drive. Can't copy/paste out of my music (either right click- which just brings up Windows media player options, or keyboard shortcut- which appears to do nothing)- also drag/drop produces shortcuts on the portable drive but won't move files..... wazzat about? :confused:

Hi Jules There was an issue about file sizes on 7 some people claim there is a limitation on the file size particular reference to images. MS deny this and say there is no limit 32 bit. Sometimes an error message is shown other times just non-function. You might also have a corrupt file. You could run a SFC scan (system file checker) I can not remember the command prompt but beware back up everything before running this. I think it is an elevated command accessed with administrators sayso. sfc/scannow. But be CAUTIOUS this is highly dangerous territory. Regds N.

QWales

Firstly, have you tried the Helpdesk special? Reboot the Pc :)

When you right click and just see WM player options, I don't suppose there is a bunch of downward pointing arrows at the bottom of the menu is there? Clicking on these should allow you to expand the menu to show additional options.

Also, does your portable HD have plenty of free space and is it formatted in FAT32 or NTFS?

Do you have various user accounts on this Pc with different levels of access rights?

Sorry if these seem to be stupid questions but we all have different levels of knowledge of these things.

DaveW

Do you have UAC switched on Jules? If so try disabling it while you try to copy and paste, it works for me with Win7 64bit.

Control panel->User accounts and Family Safety-> User Accounts <your account>
Go to "Change User Account Control Settings and slide the slider down to 'Never Notify'

Hope fully that will work then you can set that control back to what it was.

Jules

Is the portable hard drive connected via USB? If so I'll try and simulate it.
Yes it is- this is something unique to the 'my music' library- I can put anything else onto the hard-drive including full system back ups, video etc
I've tried single albums in MP£ format and even that seems to be immobilized for some reason.....I can copy mp3s from the desktop fine

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Did you see the comment in the lik I posted, saying that marking something read only in Win makes it uncopiable as well?

Jules

oddly- I'm looking at the albums list- right click gives- 'open' 'add to windows media player playlist' 'open with windows media player' & 'create shortcut'..... no properties, copy, cut or the other usual right click options... baffling

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
might be something in the protection side, but if you're using an account with admin rights, it can't be protected.

Couldn't simulate so I did some digging, first guess is a name/size probem within your my music:

1 - are there subfolders inside music, possibly with names containing funny characters, like dots, question marks?
2 - how big is the folder? Win 7 seems to have problems copying big folders and ones having lots of files in them.
3 - are there any large files in music?

Jules

might be something in the protection side, but if you're using an account with admin rights, it can't be protected.

Couldn't simulate so I did some digging, first guess is a name/size probem within your my music:

1 - are there subfolders inside music, possibly with names containing funny characters, like dots, question marks?
2 - how big is the folder? Win 7 seems to have problems copying big folders and ones having lots of files in them.
3 - are there any large files in music?

1- yes, lots!
2- in total 25 gig but the problem exists if only copying a single album
3- only about 135 meg an album.....
Just spotted -the 'library' is split between 'C:users/public' and 'C:users/jules' ... for no apparent reason I can fathom (If I right click on the entire 'my music' folder on the start up menu it gives a totally wrong file size of 1.8 gig, obviously only reading one of the storage locations)... might also be down to a fight between windows media- which i don't use and itunes- that I do.....

jonf

Sounds like you've managed to set the library as a private folder and are trying to copy it to a non-Jules folder. That will give exactly what you're describing. (But bear in mind I'm not on my Win 7 machine at the mo, using the XP desktop right now, so I'm not seeing quite the same things as you). Make sure the 'Make this folder private' option is not checked in the properties/sharing tab or the sharing and security option.

The other thing you can do is work out which bit is the 1.8gb coming up on the file size, and see if you can move files around from that bit alone (I suspect you will be able to do). The open up C:users/public and C:users/jules individually in two separate windows and methodically go through the properties to see what is different.

Final thing. Do you have access to an XP machine? See what happens with one of those if you do.

Why? Cos you're the green Manalishi (with the two prong crown).

(Sorry about the last bit, listening to some Peter Green weirdness).

Top Bottom