support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Minor blues

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Café Supporter
Locality
Cambridgeshire
I realised today that it's coming up to 11 months since I started the sax. I've just listened to some of the stuff I've put up over this year, and am now going for a little lie down until the migraine goes away.

Meanwhile, in the spirit of keeping some sort of record of what I sound like as I go along, here's something that I recorded just now to see if I've got da blues :mrcool

https://soundcloud.com/timbo_music/blue-sax

Hey for 11 months your flying. Don't knock yourself. 11 months I bet you could not dream of playing this so its a good blues, nice job dude. For such a early player you got very good timing. Future is bright :thumb:

Damn Right You Got The Blues :thumb:

Hey for 11 months your flying. Don't knock yourself. 11 months I bet you could not dream of playing this so its a good blues, nice job dude. For such a early player you got very good timing. Future is bright :thumb:

Thanks man. I get frustrated when I listen back to it, all I hear are the fact that the tuning is all over the place, I can't move my fingers fast enough, the tone is dodgy, I've got a bad case of the squeaks etc, etc. It's better than last month though, which was better than the month before...

Sounds really good - wow ! - can't believe you've only been playing a year!:shocked:.
You gonna be really good in a few years time!!

- Rob

+1 to what everyone else has said, you're going in the right direction

You have a natural musicality and have something to say. Your sax playing is coming along with a distinctive style developing. You'll never be as good as you want to be, because as you improve you want to be better still. Recordings are always a disappointment. You can hear in your head what you were aiming for and out of the speakers comes what you did. How can reality compare with imagination and ambition.

Sounds really good - wow ! - can't believe you've only been playing a year!:shocked:.
You gonna be really good in a few years time!!

- Rob

Thanks Rob. (It'll be a year in January, I want to get better by then ;} )

+1 to what everyone else has said, you're going in the right direction

Thanks Chris

You have a natural musicality and have something to say. Your sax playing is coming along with a distinctive style developing. You'll never be as good as you want to be, because as you improve you want to be better still. Recordings are always a disappointment. You can hear in your head what you were aiming for and out of the speakers comes what you did. How can reality compare with imagination and ambition.

Good points Colin, I'm not always happy with my guitar playing and I've been doing that for 35 years! But it gets better, it always gets better. And those moments when you play something/record something/perform something and it all comes together...that's what keeps me coming back :)

hectic times and finally got round to listening....
a big plus 1 to what all the others said...
as for playing only 11 months know sax players that have been playing many years and have not got the confidence and the sheer determination to even try improvisation let alone post a recording so you really are doing well.
1 tip, less pitch bends, use them sparingly and it will be to greater effect, less is more etc.

Thanks Ian. I'm working on the pitch bends, as I have been doing with the vibrato.
So much to learn, so little time :)

Great stuff 6yrs I've been at it now and couldn't even begin to play and impro like this, that's real frustration ....John

Thanks John, it seems sometimes that we get very frustrated with something that's supposed to be fun!