Tutorials

Milton Keynes

davhudson

Oh yes, the land of the Concrete Cow, the Redways and 100's of roundabouts!

It is also quite a nice place to live with quite a few musicans and wannabe musicians.

A couple of nights ago "Half Diminished" and me (or should that be I) partook of beer and chat at a local drinking hole (no hard cows in sight) and were talking about perhaps getting together for a bit of musicians playtime (also known as jamming).

Is there anyone else in the area that would be interested in this?

We do have have a local Jam night in Woburn - but this is just once a month - it would be nice if there was at least one other place that we could congregate.

As has been said on this board recently - lights the blue touch paper and stands back at a safe distance......:sax:

Taz

Busking Oracle
Yes please, as long as its not a jazz night. Keep us informed, better still add it to the jam map if it becomes a regular thing :sax:

Taz

Busking Oracle
:blush: Ok so I never got jazz, but I suppose blues isn't so far away? Maybe a jazz jam night may open my eyes and ears a little. I guess that means that I'm still up for it!:)))

Amaranth

Although I'm not sure that I could contribute much (Other than Pink jeans;}), I'm not too far away and would like to take part.
There are an increasing number of Pubs holding Jam nights in Oxford now, especially midweek when they are struggling to get customers in.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
davhudson

davhudson

Although I'm not sure that I could contribute much (Other than Pink jeans;}), I'm not too far away and would like to take part.
There are an increasing number of Pubs holding Jam nights in Oxford now, especially midweek when they are struggling to get customers in.
To be honest I do not know that many tunes and can not really improvise very well.

I think that that there may be a few in the same boat so I have this suggestions. We agree a core set of tunes that we will do before hand so that we can have a practise before we come along - that should help those inexperienced like me feel a little more comfortable about coming along.

This is not to say that it all has to be planned before hand, but we have a few numbers that we know that we would be able to join in with.

half diminished

Been a bit hectic at Castle hd so sorry for the slow response.

I have a number of arrangements which we can use with parts for sop. alto, tenor, bari:

• Peter Gunn
  • Tears In Heaven
  • Big Yellow Taxi
  • Easy Lover
  • Lion Sleeps Tonight
  • What a Wonderful World
  • As Time Goes By
  • James Bond theme
  • Moon River
  • Pink Panther
  • Don't Go breaking my heart

I also have three books - click on image for more details:

These have arrangements for A,T,B saxes.

I also have several Abersold books with a significant number of Jazz standards and these cover Eb and Bb but obviously no with special arrangements.

Should get us started!

As for a venue, Mrs hd is a teacher and they rent out the school hall. I am awaiting details. She also knows a young (15yr old) drummer and I guess that will be out biggest challenge - do we set up a PA/sound system for CDs or do we find a rhythm section!

OP
davhudson

davhudson

I have finally got a price for the hire of Milton Keynes Village Hall.
It is £65 for 3 hours.

I will be going along to the Woburn Jazz Jam next Thursday and chat with them to see if we can get a few more people interested.

More info as I get it.

David

Top Bottom