All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Miles Davis / Cannonball

Mack

Sitting up late at night -
Just bought an album for a friend who "quites likes some jazz". I knew he had Kind of Blue - so I decided Somethin' Else was the next step. Thought I should listen to it again - absolutely beautiful. Autumn Leaves points up the radical difference between Miles and Cannonball - the warm effusive playing of one, with the spare, dry-as-a-bone playing of the other - does it get better than this...? The final minute of the track when it slows down to half tempo - perfection. Miles doesn't play, he just breathes....can anyone else think of a better introduction to jazz for someone who has heard So What and Take Five and who wants to take it further?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Miles Davis - intro to Jazz??? Some of it, but a lot would have put me off for life, especially the later stuff. But it sounds like a great CD, I love Adderley's playing.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Miles Davis - intro to Jazz??? Some of it, but a lot would have put me off for life, especially the later stuff. But it sounds like a great CD, I love Adderley's playing.
even miles himself said a lot of his post 1970 work wasn't actually jazz (avant garde funk metal?). quite like a lot of it myself but in the same way as I like the weirder end of 'art rock'.....

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Mack
This is a wonderful album. I seem to remember the story of how the album was named. The producer asked Cannonball for some easy listening/ commercial music and on leaving the session Miles said ' That's somethin else'.
Love Cannonball's playing especially when he plays with Coltrane. Don't know much about his quintet years but can anyone make any recommendations?

TomMapfumo

I would recommend "Speak No Evil" by Wayne Shorter - possibly his best work, and featuring Freddie Hubbard (trumpet), Herbie Hancock (piano), Ron Carter (bass) & Elvin Jones (drums) - if you want an all time classic.

On rereading the OP I agree that "Somethin' Else" is superb and very accessible. Both Julian, and his brother Nat merit more respect than they have often received - I'm just listening to Cannonball's "Zawinul" CD - excellent.

Kind regards
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew Sanders

Sorry Tom
I meant recommendations for Adderley's Quintet. I've got most of Wayne's stuff already.
Andy

Andrew Sanders

I thought I had a hidden gem of Adderley's somewhere. I've been into the depths of my vinyl collection and retrieved a long-forgotten LP 'Know What I Mean' with Bill Evans, and the drummer and bassist from the MJQ. Absoluteley brilliant and very accessible for those of you with a nervous disposition. Two originals from Evans including Waltz for Debby a couple of show tunes and a film tune excerpt. It is reissued so you can still get it.
Highly recommended. I must go down to the archives again.
Andy

Juju

Also check out Miles Davis 58' Sessions featuring Stella by Starlight.
A very good Adderley album: The Cannonball Adderley Quintet Plus (1961).

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom