Hi

Anyone here from Australia? Been thinking to migrate to Aus for the following;

1) Better weather
2) Hotter chicks
3) Higher pay
4) Less tax?
5) Better school
6) Less thug
7) Higher employment (more people willing to work)
8) No shortage of prison space

Anyone has experience please share.

Many thanks.

tom ;}

Hi

1) Better weather
2) Hotter chicks
3) Higher pay
4) Less tax?
5) Better school
6) Less thug

Many thanks.

tom ;}

Unbiased answers are:

1. Very likely, but all dependent on what you prefer
2. Don't know.
3. Depends on what what your job is.
4. Not if you talk to the punters here.
5. A bit of a generalisation, but good schools are not hard to find.
6. You may be in for a surprise.
7. True, particularly the first part.
8. No experience, but the prisons seem to enjoy adequate occupancy rates.

Hi Tommy, i had two job offers in Melbourne but did not like it enough to want to go there. I have family there, weather very changeable. If it had been in Sydney yes like a shot. Also have family there. Perth is great but like a desert town at night. Northern territories are very pretty but have tropical temperatures, not for everyone. I have not been to Brisbane or some of the other cities like Newcastle Broome etc so can't comment.
Don't know how old you are but you may want a bit more night life.
Don't believe there is no crime, it is rife over there especially in the big cities. Schools yes are definitely better. My family have been there for over 30 years so well qualified to comment on that. Employment is dependant on what skills you have. Go to the Oz websites to take their points tests to see if you qualify or not. It is not as straightforward as some people think. Pay is definitely not higher in general. I was going to be sponsored by a major multinational company and the pay they offered me was at least 20% less than i earn here. Yes some things are cheaper but properties are expensive especially if you want to live near the sea.
Chicks yes are hot but so are they here and all over Europe. ( Well my wife is ).
If i was 20 years younger i would have said go. I think OZ is wonderful and regret not having gone there in my youth.
Go there first though if you have not already been. The grass is not always greener. ( but maybe sometimes it could be )
I lived in Europe for over 24 years. Germany, Paris and Barcelona. Yes it was great but i came back to the Uk three years ago. I would live in Sydney though if i could. Hope this helps. Good luck Phil

Hi Tommy, i had two job offers in Melbourne but did not like it enough to want to go there. I have family there, weather very changeable. If it had been in Sydney yes like a shot. Also have family there. Perth is great but like a desert town at night. Northern territories are very pretty but have tropical temperatures, not for everyone. I have not been to Brisbane or some of the other cities like Newcastle Broome etc so can't comment.
Don't know how old you are but you may want a bit more night life.
Don't believe there is no crime, it is rife over there especially in the big cities. Schools yes are definitely better. My family have been there for over 30 years so well qualified to comment on that. Employment is dependant on what skills you have. Go to the Oz websites to take their points tests to see if you qualify or not. It is not as straightforward as some people think. Pay is definitely not higher in general. I was going to be sponsored by a major multinational company and the pay they offered me was at least 20% less than i earn here. Yes some things are cheaper but properties are expensive especially if you want to live near the sea.
Chicks yes are hot but so are they here and all over Europe. ( Well my wife is ).
If i was 20 years younger i would have said go. I think OZ is wonderful and regret not having gone there in my youth.
Go there first though if you have not already been. The grass is not always greener. ( but maybe sometimes it could be )
I lived in Europe for over 24 years. Germany, Paris and Barcelona. Yes it was great but i came back to the Uk three years ago. I would live in Sydney though if i could. Hope this helps. Good luck Phil

Hi hunt

Thank you so much for the information.

I am in civil engineering industry, not over 45 yrs old yet. The pay for me there will definitely higher, much higher. At least for now, there is a shortage of civil engineer there.

Properties in Perth will be slightly more expensive than those in Yorkshire... but not very. Considering income and expenditure, i think i will still be a bit better off in Perth (not sydney). Heard that transport in Aus is terrible!!

I'd go, but look carefully about the implications. Pension, health care.... At 40 it's a dificult case, both under the points system, and in terms of getting set up for retirement. In the end I missed the boat and it's too late now. However I've friends there, and they love it.

I'd go, but look carefully about the implications. Pension, health care.... At 40 it's a dificult case, both under the points system, and in terms of getting set up for retirement. In the end I missed the boat and it's too late now. However I've friends there, and they love it.

I have only worked in the UK for 5 years, so i will not lose out too much on pension. It is easier for me to migrate from the UK as i have no cultural or historical ties here. I think they do sell fish and chips there??

Hi Tommy, they sell Baramundi and chips, i have been there a lot over the last years as i was almost about to go but as i said Melbourne was not for me.
Can't agree about transport, i found it really good everywhere. Metro and rail system in Sydney, Trams in Melbourne, buses in Perth. If you can go, do it, it is a beautiful place, very much the outdoor life. You are making me feel sad now that i can't go. As Kev says, with family and friends there it makes it a lot easier. Bugger of a flight though. Go for it then we will have someone else to visit.. Good luck Phil
I have only worked in the UK for 5 years, so i will not lose out too much on pension. It is easier for me to migrate from the UK as i have no cultural or historical ties here. I think they do sell fish and chips there??

Guess it depends on what you want out of life.
1) Better weather - well no one can argue about that. But the odd dull day can always be nice and gives you a reason to get those chores done. Also, it provides a certain melancholy that enables such great music to be made. How many great Australians bands are there in comparison?
2) Hotter chicks - well perhaps, but then I married a Macedonian!
3) Higher pay - Is this really true? I did not think so but then I guess it depends what sector you are in
4) Less tax - Not sure here but does this reflect in public spending?
5) Better schools - From the level of intelligent conversation seeping out of the Australians who frequent Clapham, I can only question this statement!
6) Less thugery - More than likely, but then so does Saudi Arabia and I would not fancy living there much!
7) Higher employment - Maybe true, not sure.
8) No shortage of prison space - Have not watched Cell Block H recently to see if this is true.

I have been to Australia before and I loved the place and most of the people. However, I did note a couple of things that made me question whether I would want to live there. For example, Australia does not offer a great variety of culture - Britain has much more to offer (especially in big cities like London) in terms of multi-culture. There are so many different types of food, theatre and music which Australia cannot match. Also, I have to say that Australia can be slightly more racist as a nation (sorry, just my observation - I'm not saying all Australians are racist). I experienced some interesting comments from people which simply would not have been tolerated back home.

However, having said all this I think it is great to travel as much as you can and to try new things. If you are stuck in a rut, don't have much baggage/responsibilities here then go for it. Perhaps a 4 week holiday there is the best way to get a feel for the place. Just don't end up supporting the Aussie cricket team!

My nephew went here and married an Oz girl...loved it..(they are currently 'on secondment' to Houston, Texas ...God knows what their children's accents will be!!!)....will almost certainly return there.

I stayed in Oz briefly, en route to NZ, and really disliked the comparatively 'authoritarian' attitude which, IMO, prevailed (then, 30yrs ago) ....it surprised me, too, in a country I'd thought was so 'laid-back!

It's a beautiful country(as of course is NZ) but I wouldn't choose to live there .... as some have said, it's so far from 'European culture' in the broadest sense.
JMO, and apologies to all liberal-minded, cultured Australians, for the generalisations :)

I've moved countries three times. And I've seen/met/know a lot of people who've moved country. It's a big job. It's very much what you make of it. People who move, tackle the challenges and go out of their way to make the most of it and fit in will have a wonderful time. Guys who sit at home, avoiding the challenges and not trying to fit in/meet people end up lonly and unhappy. I've never had a job problem, but I knew one guy who went to NZ, spent a long time looking to get the exact job he'd had before - and wasn't prepared to compromise, even a little. Needless to say he ran out of money, hated it and went back. If he'd been prepared to do a less challengin job for a while, and compromise a little on his dream job, he'd still be there now.

But be clear on why you want to go there. And do your homework. And think seriously about relatives and how you'll cope with aging parents - if that's relevant to you.

Hi Tommy,

I've lived in NZ for over 35 years (originally a scot) all good advice above.
I also house sat a couple of years ago in Queensland for 3 months.
NZ and Aus are similar in there basic lifestyle and I often say it's the same difference as between Canadians and Americans. (ie, Canadians softer and humble, Australians louder more brash) Generalisations I know, but this is only my opinion.
The best thing is the weather and the people. They are characterfull people, it is a much richer economy than NZ and for me has plenty of culture. It is a can do society, they tend to back themselves, and have a wonderfull sense of fun.
I emigrated from Scotland as a lad of 16 (my family did, as assisted passage, one of the £5 poms)
I don't regret it for one second, as I know the sort of life I would have had and the life I've had in Australasia has been and continues to be fantastic.
There are many poms & other nationalties coming out to Aus & NZ mostly to avoid the stresses of high populations, crime, traffic and over regulated societies.
I am not in your position, I have a friend who lives in Yorkshire and comes out to NZ for 4 months every year, has built a house in NZ and enjoys both countries.
Currently traveling in UK, I listened to UK radio about people talking about being unemployed, only yesterday, and going by this times may be getting tougher in the UK!

You will only know for sure if you suck it and see.
It all depends on what you are wanting in a new life?
No bodies opinion will help you in the decision to go to Aussie .... To tough a call for me!

Best of British Mate
Cheers
Jimu

I remember being told a story when I was a kid about the grass being greener on the other side of the fence. Of course, it never is. Life's what you make it, wherever you are.

Oh, and in the UK, don't believe all the tosh in papers like the Daily Mail. Here, we have a benign climate (rarely that hot or cold), low crime rate (very low by international standards, and lower than Aus), fabulous culture, history and heritage, a vast economy, beautiful countryside, a strong health, social care and welfare system and much better beer. Chances are that if you're unhappy here, you'll be unhappy anywhere.

Oh, and for me, it's just too hot in Australia.

I can't pretend to give a direct comparison as I haven't been to Britain on my couple of European trips, but I can make some observations.

Australia does not lack in cuture, but it does not have the the depth of culture found in Europe (I can hear my late father saying "This is not old, I went to a school that was built in the 14th century....)

There is (depending on exactly where you are) vibrancy, there is growth, but do your research well.

I like it, but it's home to me, it's what I know and am familiar with.

Stefan

Sorry, I don't have direct experience, but we have friends who moved to Australia years ago and they have been really happy there.

However, I assume (hope) that your list was partly tongue in cheek, but if they really are your opinions/priorities then I can only offer my best wishes for a safe journey to you and my sympathy to Australia.

Hi

1) Better weather
2) Hotter chicks
3) Higher pay
4) Less tax?
5) Better school
6) Less thug

Many thanks.

tom ;}

Re 2- I'm married to one, so- Yup! My other half certainly dispute 5 (she's not got a lot good to say about the Australain system)..