support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Midnight in the Naked City - Pete Thomas

AJS

Locality
Glasgow
Is there anyone else out there who's bought the fantastic new PeteThomas CD and would love to know which sax/s were used on each track or am I the only saxnerd on the forum?
ps I can guess it was the BW sop on "Love Theme" as it's the only Soprano he uses!

Is there anyone else out there who's bought the fantastic new PeteThomas CD and would love to know which sax/s were used on each track or am I the only saxnerd on the forum?
ps I can guess it was the BW sop on "Love Theme" as it's the only Soprano he uses!

Good point, must admit I've been wondering myself. I guessed the two voices on the first, but after that I have no idea.

Lets all gang up on Pete then till he divulges the info!

The question is whether he is using the new Morgan Fried Metal PMT's or one of the Onyxite PPT efforts on his Two Jags Tenor!

To be honest, I can't give 100% of the info as I don't remember all of it.

I think the Buescher 400 (which I subsequently sold) was on Coco de Mer. The Rampone is on Another Night and Slow River. Harlem Nocturne is a combination of the Conn 10M and The Martin (I think). Most of the rest of the tenor would be the Conn 10M.

Clarinet on Slow River is a Boosey and Hawkes Regent.

Night Train, hmmm, Conn 10M or Selmer MKVI.

More info will be supplied as I remember it or find any clues.

Slinky is Buescher 400 alto and Grafton alto alternating choruses.

Last edited:
Boosey and Hawkes Regent reminds me I had a choice between that and the Selmer Console when I got my first and only clarinet from McCormacks Music Store in Glasgow 57yrs ago! Still have the Selmer and the store just closed it's doors within the last year. I actually supplied all their new external and internal signs just a few years ago (and dealt with the lady MD who was the niece of the Mr McC who sold me the Selmer) but surprise surprise they couldn't compete with the Internet.

Have only just got my copy & only listened once, but yes it's got so many different sounds across the various instruments.... If Pete's not sure...... What chance have we got.
Well done Pete the whole package is top quality with the right vibe.
Hats off, now it's boring into the playalong!

Cheers & ciao
Jimu

"Together We Create Beauty"

Out in the country Jimu? Hope that's not because the neighbours were compaining about your playalongs!!

Out in the country Jimu? Hope that's not because the neighbours were compaining about your playalongs!!

On the contrary.....I usuallly get good comments when I play outside......I love to hear the sound bounce back of the hills.

I'm told Stan Getz loved to play outdoors, which helped him develop his fabulous sound!

I hope your rattling your neigbours windows in Glasgow.....I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback.
:thumb:

Good on you - I'll tell my cousin in South Australia to listen out for you - she can hear me nae bovver at aw!

To be honest, I can't give 100% of the info as I don't remember all of it.

I think the Buescher 400 (which I subsequently sold) was on Coco de Mer. The Rampone is on Midnight and Slow River. Harlem Nocturne is a combination of the Conn 10M and The Martin (I think). Most of the rest of the tenor would be the Conn 10M.

Clarinet on Slow River is a Boosey and Hawkes Regent.

Night Train, hmmm, Conn 10M or Selmer MKVI.

More info will be supplied as I remember it or find any clues.

Slinky is Buescher 400 alto and Grafton alto alternating choruses.

Should've gone to Specsavers.........................................................................;}

Well, only 4 days before I finally get to hear, and also try playing some of this wondrous music. I'll have to try and find a Film Noir that I could watch while playing some of these tunes as a soundtrack!

OK, so I opened my Christmas present early. . . and slapped Pete's new disk on the CD player tonight.

—First off, these are great tunes and this is great playing, but above all, this is a man who loves the sound of the saxophone —and knows how to record it! Honestly, this is as fine an up-close full-sonority old-school saxophone sound as I've heard on a disk in ages —it is just ravishing— throaty fruity, breathy sexy, raunchy tender, quiet and piercing, loping, strutting, slinking, howling, whispering, slurring and bending.

No, I'm not Pete's cousin, and I don't mean to make him sound like a werewolf, but —hugely recommended.

The playalong disk and sheet music is equally good, and even for a beginner like me there's a couple of tunes I'm dying to try. I'll have to wait till tomorrow all the same, as I don't think the neighbours will appreciate it at half past midnight. (I was listening on headphones.) Still, I'll have that last track again —a totally insane version of 'Night Train'. Phew! Shed full of music indeed.

Pete as a Werewolf? I'm sure he wouldn't mind the additional hair as back-up.......................................;}

Hi Riversider you sure have a way with words - you could have made a career out of that you know!
By the way does anyone know what kind of weird sax our friend Mr Mapfumo is embracing on his Avator photo?

Its made by "Van Laar", and is a three button alto sax...............;}

I was trying to figure out the the anagrams then I discovered Nils Wulker plays Van Laar trumpets!