All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Midnight Hour Blues

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
Is not "In The Midnight Hour", it's "Midnight Hour Blues"! This is a countryblues that the bluespianist Leroy Carr did in the mid 30's. Elvin Bishop's version is shorter and he recorded it with a sax as well. Perhaps more a Country Rock ? The saxplayer is Terry Hanck (he was nominated for W.C. Handy Awards 2014, hornplayer together with saxmen Eddie Shaw, Sax Gordon, Jimmy Carpenter: Eddie Shaw won the price). A great sax player and he has nice altissimos! It's in the key of concert A. B for Bb instrument and F# for Eb intruments.

I like the song and been playing it for some years. We also play it wirh three horns. Trumpet, tenorsax, and barisax. The horns are playing unisont.

There are two solos on the recording and the chords for tenorsax are: F#6,B6, F#6, F#6,B6, B6, F#6, F#6,G#-7, B6, F#6, F#6. I try to think "less is more", I can't play Hancks great altissimos!

A fun song to play.

Elvin Bishop's version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liX_OPaX1XY

Jamesmac

Real feel good music, but I think the yanks stole from Irish Folk Music, but made it their own. I suppose like a lot of things from the US. Thanks for posting.:)

Jonesy

Old Fart At Play
Locality
Birmingham, UK
It is the kind of laid-back slow blues that I like though.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Not heard that before very nice and relaxing, thanks for posting :)

Jx

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I suppose the genre is dictated by head wear and foot wear. That has an almost soul feel to it. It's only the steel guitar keeping it countrified. The altissimo took me back to the days of Radio Luxembourg on Am Radio.

Jamesmac

Yes . Me too. It's also refreshing to hear a recording that is not over produced.:)

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I've been listening to some of his other stuff on the tube. It never ceases to amaze me how many good musicians I've never heard of.

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
Liked that a lot. It reminded me of Pee Wee Ellis with Van Morrison, but more of a country tinge.

Rhys

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom