All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Midlife madness

AlanSB

Hi,
Turned 50 at the end of last year, already had the motorbike and Fender Strat so decided to fulfil a long held dream to learn to play sax. Guitar-wise I play rhythm to a chord sheet which I then memorise - I had no musical theory knowledge and, being completely self taught, probably too many bad habits to correct now. I get away with it in our band. Don't know how!

Anyway after searching for a tutor I found one locally who seemed tame and was prepared to teach a newby from scratch. So I bought a tenor sax and went for it. After 5 months I can make a reasonable effort at reading music, play pieces and do a bit of basic improvising. Not much, but I'm happy. There is hope. And that magic the lead guitarist gets up to is 'only' a minor pentatonic scale - ha, the game's up!

My tutor hasn't given up on me, my head hasn't exploded with all the theory and scales being stuffed in it, so the journey continues.......

Should have started years ago.

Alan.

Sunray

Hey Hey Alan ...

Let me be first to welcome you to the Cafe mate ...

Sunray waves from Norfolk ... :old:

Make sure you have loads of fun learning and playing your Tenor ...

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Welcome Alan

I started learning sax about a year ago with no musical knowledge and I am still loving it. Theory does me in if I think too hard so I have decied to just absorb it as I go. I'm sure my tutor despairs at times but it's all good fun.:)

Jx

TomMapfumo

Hi Alan!

A Big Welcome to the Forum from a fellow 50yo (53). So what sort of stuff are you playing on your tenor sax? Glad that you've found a tutor who you get on well with. I look forward to hear how you're getting on. I'm a Fender Jazz Bass man myself, but generally prefer playing instruments that I can blow.

Kind regards
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Hi Alan,
Welcome from another relative newbie - I started playing sax 3.5 years ago.
However, I could read music, so I guess I had an advantage, there.
I hope you continue to enjoy your sax journey, I'm loving mine- it's pretty much taken over my life.
I started on alto, then picked up a baritone in October last year, and on Tuesday, I head on an adventure southwards to pick up a tenor. :w00t:

I'll soon have a full set :)))

Enjoy, and welcome to the Cafe.

AlanSB

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the welcome.
Up to now I have been playing the pieces in the tutor books, but am now starting to have a go at soul and blues numbers.
Learning has also introduced me to jazz, so who knows where it will all lead?
Alan.

breathless

hi Alan, all aboard the "learning to play a tenor" bus then! I got on the bus around 3 months ago after most of my 42 years of life ambition to do so.
have been tutored from day 1 and am making slow progress but am picking things up, can now play a couple of scales from memory just find it very frustrating that's all I can do, but hey, you gotta learn to walk before you can run right?

anyway good luck and best wishes!

Rgds Lee.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Welcome Alan,

Good to have yet another another renegade guitarist on the site. It seems like it's a natural progression, get a guitar, realise it doesn't make you attractive to women. Get a sax, suddenly you're a babe magnet....and then you wake up.
Just enjoy making noise, mate.

Andy

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Alan.

Now the trick is to play guitar with the toes and accompany yourself.

ENJOY!
​™

navarro

Hi Alan I turned fifty in 1987. Took sax up in 2012 and never looked back, thanks to my friends in the forum and of course my tutor. You will have lots of practical advice and support here. Best regards. N.

Top Bottom