support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Microphones Microphones: wireless or fixed?

The weak point is usually the engineer.
Having a system that minimizes the possible disasters is usually the solution.
When I had many gigs on big stages I had a radio clip-on feeding a multi-effect allowing me to give them a L+R and tell them "no eq, no effects no nothing".
Still some managed to do a mess, since I was giving them a line level, while they expected a mic (much lower).

A friend of mine (a very good engineer) once had to work with Chic Corea's Electric Band.
He hired the best gear in town, but when the soundcheck started, Weckl, Patitucci, Marienthal and Corea gave him a L+R each telling him "no eq, no effects, no nothing".

It reminds me of another pianist that sends pre-written articles to music journalists, but this is another story.

I'm intrigued about the pianist..!!

i can tell you it's quite difficult being an engineer, but it's true that most prefer guitar/bass/drums and possibly keyboards if you're going to be complicated. the main concern is to get the vocals loud enough without feedback. i'm amazed to hear chick corea didn't take his own engineer - how mean is that? i've often been to and or done gigs with one of the less ordinary instruments in the mix - violin for example - and heard a stream of people come to the desk and complain that they can't hear whatever it is when it's perfectly audible. also. it's entirely impossible to hear (from the stage) what the sound is like out the front.

as for the position of the gooseneck mike the little finger table would work, i should think.

the main concern is to get the vocals loud enough without feedback.
Singers for you.... I have many horror stories about them.

a stream of people come to the desk and complain that they can't hear whatever it is when it's perfectly audible.
Usually friends/partners. Often the bassist's girlfriend. I never worked out why.
But among my sound engineers horror stories, I witnessed 16 bars of perfectly inaudible sax solo (Wasn't me: I was behind the sound engineer, like a vulture) while the soundguy stared at the stage, where the player looked like been Marcel Marceau in a poor performance.
It also was a top venue with top equipment.

i can tell you it's quite difficult being an engineer, but it's true that most prefer guitar/bass/drums and possibly keyboards if you're going to be complicated. the main concern is to get the vocals loud enough without feedback. i'm amazed to hear chick corea didn't take his own engineer - how mean is that? i've often been to and or done gigs with one of the less ordinary instruments in the mix - violin for example - and heard a stream of people come to the desk and complain that they can't hear whatever it is when it's perfectly audible. also. it's entirely impossible to hear (from the stage) what the sound is like out the front.

as for the position of the gooseneck mike the little finger table would work, i should think.

Hi Peter, totally agree it is a difficult job being the engineer, getting levels/sound right and keeping everyone happy. I have been at gigs where we had feedback all way through first 2 tunes, audience lose interest and already you've lost the gig. On the plus side have experienced some top quality engineers also which make a total difference to how the audience enjoy the experience.
As for position of my clip on/wireless mic I try have it top of bell, in the middle and about 2" above. I also have an anti 'rumble' switch on to stop distortion when I move around.

Singers for you.... I have many horror stories about them.

Usually friends/partners. Often the bassist's girlfriend. I never worked out why.
But among my sound engineers horror stories, I witnessed 16 bars of perfectly inaudible sax solo (Wasn't me: I was behind the sound engineer, like a vulture) while the soundguy stared at the stage, where the player looked like been Marcel Marceau in a poor performance.
It also was a top venue with top equipment.

Similar story, Playing a massive venue, loads of folk come to see us, 4 part horn section (all with solos within the set) I asked the engineers is everything ok through desk as we have 4 part horns .. He gives thumbs up.. We play.. nobody could hear the horns AT ALL.. all way through I didn't know until I come off stage, I wondered why folk that have heard us before moved closer to the stage when we started playing... SOME engineers do not have a 'jar of glue'...

Back
Top Bottom