support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Recording Micing a Saxophone

BTW, and for a guy speaking German normally :)
I would read "micing" as something with little white or grey animals, should it be "miking"?
I know it's microphone, not mikrophone, but i googled "close-miking" and saw it was correct.

Thanks!

I would read "micing" as something with little white or grey animals, should it be "miking"?
I know it's microphone, not mikrophone, but i googled "close-miking" and saw it was correct.

Thanks!
I don’t think it actually works either way, but you see both written. I prefer Micing (mousing around) as I don’t know Mike.

Since they both verbize a noun, neither one would satisfy traditional English, and since I'm an old traditional guy, I prefer to say micing. BTW, using the word 'verbize' is also verbizing a noun. :)

I am admittedly just a novice when it comes to recording techniques and equipment, but I have heard that the SM58 is better suited to vocals and the SM57 (which is what I have) is better suited to recording instruments. My study of acoustics has taught me that frequencies (harmonics) above cut-off (approximately F#3) go past the open tone holes and directly out the bell. This is why the "donut mute" helps ti produce a darker/warmer tone. My experience putting the mic close to and directly in front of the bell produces a recorded sound that is too bright and edgy (harsh?) for my taste.

Thanks!
I agree, micing looks completely wrong to me - First time I saw it I read it as mincing.

Collins Dictionary and the Oxford English Dictionary both have mike as a verb, but not mic.
They both have mic, mic. and mike as short forms for microphone.

I am admittedly just a novice when it comes to recording techniques and equipment, but I have heard that the SM58 is better suited to vocals and the SM57 (which is what I have) is better suited to recording instruments. My study of acoustics has taught me that frequencies (harmonics) above cut-off (approximately F#3) go past the open tone holes and directly out the bell. This is why the "donut mute" helps ti produce a darker/warmer tone. My experience putting the mic close to and directly in front of the bell produces a recorded sound that is too bright and edgy (harsh?) for my taste.
SM57 and SM58 are pretty much the same microphone. Here is some Shure info:

i have had some experience over the years of recording. except with the soprano i would not advise recording straight at the bell, the sound's better if the mike points at your fingers. my own feeling is that condensers will make you sound thinner, because their response is brighter. the shures of which we are speaking have a limited high frequency response, more mid. are you playing in headphones? if so you can afford to get further away from the mike and turn the gain up. this might improve the sound. if not, i think you'll have to start using headphones, even though they're annoying. my favourite mike for sax now is a sennheiser MD 421. i also have an AKG C414 set up for vocals, the sax sounds awful through it, it's probably the room. the mike's lovely, but it will pick up your grandmother in the afterlife. i use shure SM 58's for when i'm looping the sax direct to my recorder just because i have them and i can't be bothered to unplug everything twice a day, they seem a little harsh by comparison with the sennheiser - high mid, not top end in the true sense.

When I first played with other musicians at gigging volume I needed to blow SO hard to get myself heard that low notes jumped an octave, and high notes closed-off. You can justifiably put that down to my inexperience and kindergarten MP & reed, but the fact was that I needed Help.
I already had a pair of lovely Bose PA speakers and desk for keyboard work -
1619637314591.jpeg

1619637348218.jpeg

- I just needed a clip-on mike. Found a Shure on eBay “parts not working” - resoldered the loose Earth and shortened the ridiculously long lead -
1619637543526.jpeg

This has a pre-amp in the connection capsule, 48v required coming from the desk. Great sound.