Tutorials

Michael Jackson dies.........

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
More importantly it's sad to hear of the death of alto great CHARLIE MARIANO,fantastic hard bop player,the great's are going down fast.That's 1 taxi ride we all cant miss,when Mr Reaper come's honking at our door's.

jonf

Although John Donne's words are very appropriate and there is obviously a sense of loss but they keep going on about "his" music. It does rankle that the arrangers and musicians seem to have been omitted from the praise.
Very true, OG, particularly with Michael Jackson. The only elements of his music which were lifted from mediocrity were those steered by Quincy Jones. Without him, Jackson would have been just another bit part player in pop music.

I know it comes across a bit churlish to be less than worshipful the day after he has died, but all the mawkish fawning over his 'huge talent' is just too cloying for me. Many far greater musicians have died recently without so much as a whimper from the media.

rob192

Michael Jackson (RIP)

Five of Jackson's solo albums – "Off the Wall," "Thriller," "Bad," "Dangerous" and "HIStory," are among the top-sellers of all time. During his career, he sold an estimated 750 million records , released 13 No.1 singles and became one of a few artists to be inducted twice into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The Guinness Book of World Records recognized Jackson as the Most Successful Entertainer of All Time and "Thriller" as the Biggest Selling Album of All Time. He won 13 Grammy Awards and received the American Music Award's Artist of the Century Award.
may he rest in peace

Smiffy

I remember when Elvis died and to tell the truth, I did not care, the same now

Lot's of Good/bad jokes doing the rounds

Taz

Busking Oracle
Good musician? maybe, but I just can't get past the awful damage he did to others, especially some children. He was a twisted individual who seriously needed someone's help. Sorry, as you know me by now you'll realise that this is just my honest and sometimes outspoken opinion, which I'm only too happy to share with you all. I do genuinely feel sorry for those he left behind and my thoughts are with them.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Five of Jackson's solo albums – "Off the Wall," "Thriller," "Bad," "Dangerous" and "HIStory," are among the top-sellers of all time. During his career, he sold an estimated 750 million records , released 13 No.1 singles and became one of a few artists to be inducted twice into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The Guinness Book of World Records recognized Jackson as the Most Successful Entertainer of All Time and "Thriller" as the Biggest Selling Album of All Time. He won 13 Grammy Awards and received the American Music Award's Artist of the Century Award.
may he rest in peace
Totally true but are you suggesting that Jackson did all the arranging and playing?
You might be better choosing Chuck Berry, he did provide at least one fourth of his accompaniment.
Quincy Jones also worked with another great. He was arranger/trumpeter with a Herman Herd that toured Europe. When they got to Paris, he was let into a recording studio as the Gigi Gryce Quincy Jones Orchestra and amongst the chosen musicians was a certain Clifford Brown but I don't recall a third of BBC 4 News being devoted to his demise.

Smiffy

Good musician? maybe, but I just can't get past the awful damage he did to others, especially some children. He was a twisted individual who seriously needed someone's help. Sorry, as you know me by now you'll realise that this is just my honest and sometimes outspoken opinion, which I'm only too happy to share with you all. I do genuinely feel sorry for those he left behind and my thoughts are with them.

Do you, I don't , the gravy train has stopped they will have to walk now

IF they cared about him so much, why did they not look after him better, how did a 50 year old man surrounded by so many and so close to a hospital, die so easily

Taz

Busking Oracle
Smiffy, I do feel sorry for those he left behind, they were not responsible for who or what he was, they just loved him because he was a part of their family.

Col9

I think any musical talent was unfortunatly eclipsed by his wierd attention seeking behavior.

But..................... although its just plain wrong the etch-a-sketch joke made me laugh>:) :shocked:

Col.

Bobby G

A cynic writes...

Has anyone else, other than me, had the slight nagging doubt that it's all some massive stunt and that the whole thing is faked?

Personally I suffered total MJ overkill back in the day (but as a 'serious' prog fan the J5 were one of my guilty pleasures in the early 70's) although now I can appreciate some of the tunes for the corkers they are, and MJ certainly was a vocalist, not to mention a hoofer. I'm kind of with Jarvis Cocker on the whole messianic tip of Earth Song. I don't think it's right to knock him for being 'only' a vocalist, or for not playing/writing/arranging all his music - no-one ever levelled those charges at the likes of Sinatra, so why MJ? He made a lot of people happy (on the other negative side he caused a lot of people to become totally obsessed) through his music.

I feel ultimately he will be remembered for the music, although as Paul Gambo put it earlier today MJ's odd behaviour will always be there as a kind of footnote, albeit quite a big one.

If you want to hear MJ at his absolute best (IMHO) i.e. before the days of too much hype, the vocal hiccup and other over-stylised affectations, have a listen to one of the lesser-played J5 tunes called "Maybe Tomorrow". MJ was probably about 12 or 13 when he recorded it, and the lil feller just absolutely sings his heart out. That's what I like to think of him as, a potentially great soul singer who, through whatever circumstances in his life kind of lost his way, sadly.

RIP Michael

p.s. Rod Temperton, who penned "Thriller" originally presented it to his band, Heatwave, as 'so this is Disco' (in the chorus), and they rejected it as being not up to their usual standard.

Last edited by a moderator:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Bob,
I did not dismiss him as 'only' a vocalist, it was the almost continuous use of the phrase "his music" that ground me down. Sinatra put a different interpretation on previously performed works and always worked with good musicians and arrangers, a trait he shared with MJ.

Wonder how MJ would have coped with just a pianist and "Give me one more for the road"?

dooce

I never "got" MJ - appreciate he was massively popular but the music too slick for my taste. But - whatever opinion you have about the music and his alleged murky activities (I thought he was cleared of those accusations in court?) he created a lot of work for musicians, even if their contribution may not be fully recognised, and he probably inspired millions of impressionable kids to at least try singing or to pick up an instrument. For that at least he should be allowed a degree of respect.

rob192

michael Jackson

many of us 'grew up' with him - love him or hate him, I hold the opinion that he was a fantastically talented indivdual, that certainly isn't to say those whom supported him musically and for that matter many other 'unsung' heros' were not. sad end to a mysterious life - one thing for sure, he won't be forgotten.

jonf

And another thing....

What really winds me up about this, and other 'tragic celebrity death' tales is, no matter how tragic or otherwise the demise, the media think it is the right thing to do to bombard us with meaningless drivel about the life of the deceased. All the major channels junked previously scheduled programmes to put on tawdry 'tributes' to MJ. None of them ever comprise anything other than endlessly re-run old footage and conjecture from tired old hacks, but we're fed the same old drivel anyway. And because it's so ****ing universal you can't even exercise freedom of choice and watch something else as it's the same old **** on all the main channels. At the end of an incredibly busy week I just wanted to sit down and watch a couple of mildly entertaining programmes over a glass of wine, but oh, no, couldn't do that because some public school educated **** decided I needed to see their tribute to a dead 'celebrity'.:mad::mad::mad:

There, got that off my chest.

(If any of may favourite television gets canned because of overrunning tennis, someone's going to get eviscerated).

Smiffy

How sick are the Media

They were all calling him a nonce not long ago, wacko and everything else

Now he is the greatest pop star ever and all praising him like a God

Top Bottom