All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Microphones Mic

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
The widest choices will come with using an actual mixer, such as this one:
Especially with a Mac, this will solve all the problems as well as provide phantom power if you get a pro mic that requires this. As said previously, getting the signal into an iPod or phone is a different story and listining to a backing track would need earphone I think. Or, a little more firepower (channels, EQ, more inputs)

DavidUK

Still deciding...

I think the Apogee Mic+ and Audio-Technica AT2020USB+ have the better features.
The AT seems better value at 60% of the Mic+ price.
Below these I'd probably go Blue Yeti Nano over Yeti full size. Nano is under £90 and fits a camera tripod (which I have!).
Meteor last as it's only £60.

DavidUK

OK, decided and bought.

I went for the Audio Technica AT2020USB+ after much research. Whereas I buy used horns, with electronics it's perhaps not a good idea.

So I bought new for £111 shipped, with a 3 year warranty. Cheaper than Amazon!

Also bought Samson SR850 headphones and a boom mic stand (on back-order).

:)

Just be aware that the Samson SR850 are open back, so there will be some sound leakage. If you are listening to a backing track and recording with a mic it might pick that up. Although it does say semi-open.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
I've been through many of the mental gymnastics that you have, @DavidUK. There's too much choice

I went down the laptop, USB digital audio interface and condenser mic with XLR cable route (and then on to a USB mixer and ribbons and stuff)

Will be interesting to hear how you get on with the USB set-up

Soon you will be moving to the misery of optimising mic placement and ultimately the champagne, chocolates and flowers to improve the room acoustics

DavidUK

@Ivan - Rolled up somewhere are three large leather wall tapestries passed down from my father. If I can persuade my wife (she hates them) to let me hang them on the walls, might that help? The floor is carpeted.

We keep chickens, would a thousand egg boxes glued to the walls between the tapestries assist further?

DavidUK

Is this what is referred to as "clipping"? When the wings of young wall-glued chicks are clipped to stop them flying off and bringing their feed-back to the room?

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
I’ve just bought an Apogee Mic Plus USB microphone. So far it seems to work very well, and no faffing about with a converter box. Works with a computer or iPad and even iPhone I think. It has an easy-to-use input volume control and a headphone socket. It’s on the expensive side, but I think the sound quality is better than the Zoom H2N.
Are you still enjoying your Apogee Mic ?
I think this is the microphone I’m getting. The reviews are great and it’s a mic that’s specifically made for Apple technology so Macs, iPads, iPhones, iMacs etc.,

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
The Apogee Mic+ is a good USB microphone, I recommend it. It is very easy to use. I think it sounds better than my Zoom H2N. But I have no personal experience how it compares with, for example, the Audio Technica AT2020USB.

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
The Apogee Mic+ is a good USB microphone, I recommend it. It is very easy to use. I think it sounds better than my Zoom H2N. But I have no personal experience how it compares with, for example, the Audio Technica AT2020USB.
When it comes to modern technology I’m useless. Just before ordering this I discovered that it’s not compatible with my iPad Pro 4 gen since it has a USB-C connection
Anyway here’s a bit about it. Can I get a cable or adapter to make it compatible?

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Can I get a cable or adapter to make it compatible?
How about this?

I'm not recommending this model in particular and there are cheaper ones. This is just the first I saw.

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
How about this?

I'm not recommending this model in particular and there are cheaper ones. This is just the first I saw.
Thank you. So with this I could order the Apogee MiC and make this work. Oh good.Thats awesome. :thumb:

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Thank you. So with this I could order the Apogee MiC and make this work. Oh good.Thats awesome. :thumb:
Sometimes they don't work, but with Amazon, you can return for refund. Check if Amazonsells from their line. It's cheaper and they'll refund if any problems.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
How about this?

That is the wrong adapter I think. This one should work:

But you would need to go to the Apple Canada online store rather than the Apple UK store.

But the iPad has a very good microphone anyway. You could start with that, and get a microphone later.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom