Tutorials

Microphones Mic

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
The widest choices will come with using an actual mixer, such as this one:
Especially with a Mac, this will solve all the problems as well as provide phantom power if you get a pro mic that requires this. As said previously, getting the signal into an iPod or phone is a different story and listining to a backing track would need earphone I think. Or, a little more firepower (channels, EQ, more inputs)

DavidUK

Still deciding...

I think the Apogee Mic+ and Audio-Technica AT2020USB+ have the better features.
The AT seems better value at 60% of the Mic+ price.
Below these I'd probably go Blue Yeti Nano over Yeti full size. Nano is under £90 and fits a camera tripod (which I have!).
Meteor last as it's only £60.

DavidUK

OK, decided and bought.

I went for the Audio Technica AT2020USB+ after much research. Whereas I buy used horns, with electronics it's perhaps not a good idea.

So I bought new for £111 shipped, with a 3 year warranty. Cheaper than Amazon!

Also bought Samson SR850 headphones and a boom mic stand (on back-order).

:)

Just be aware that the Samson SR850 are open back, so there will be some sound leakage. If you are listening to a backing track and recording with a mic it might pick that up. Although it does say semi-open.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
I've been through many of the mental gymnastics that you have, @DavidUK. There's too much choice

I went down the laptop, USB digital audio interface and condenser mic with XLR cable route (and then on to a USB mixer and ribbons and stuff)

Will be interesting to hear how you get on with the USB set-up

Soon you will be moving to the misery of optimising mic placement and ultimately the champagne, chocolates and flowers to improve the room acoustics

DavidUK

@Ivan - Rolled up somewhere are three large leather wall tapestries passed down from my father. If I can persuade my wife (she hates them) to let me hang them on the walls, might that help? The floor is carpeted.

We keep chickens, would a thousand egg boxes glued to the walls between the tapestries assist further?

DavidUK

Is this what is referred to as "clipping"? When the wings of young wall-glued chicks are clipped to stop them flying off and bringing their feed-back to the room?

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom